Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: captaindonutbikes on February 12, 2010, 03:20:52 PM

Title: i usually use STP
Post by: captaindonutbikes on February 12, 2010, 03:20:52 PM
but anyone got any other recommendations/old wives tales/urban legends for assembly oil?

cheers
Title: Re: i usually use STP
Post by: totty on February 12, 2010, 03:47:41 PM
I've never used it but several people have recommended a Molyslip assembly oil. I've used their engine and gearbox additives, chain oil and air drying film (ADF - dry anti seize compound).
Title: Re: i usually use STP
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on February 12, 2010, 04:33:15 PM
I always use prodigious quantities of clean engine oil when assembling.
Title: Re: i usually use STP
Post by: mick on February 12, 2010, 05:59:21 PM
I use the same oil i'm going to run the bike on when rebuilding the motor ;), cheers Mick.
Title: Re: i usually use STP
Post by: Bryanj on February 12, 2010, 06:07:37 PM
If its going to be run soon after buiding loads oil from the can you will fill it with, if it's gonna stand for a while assembly lube---I use copaslip, turns the oil an odd colour but never had a problem
Title: Re: i usually use STP
Post by: Spitfire on February 13, 2010, 11:09:33 AM
Like others I usually use the same engine oil that I'm going to run the bike on.

Cheers

Den
Title: Re: i usually use STP
Post by: Yoshi823 on February 19, 2010, 06:53:43 PM
I must admit to have heard lots of suggestions about what to use when assembling an engine, but I think that there may well be more than one to use, depending on which area of the engine that is being put together. When I first started to rip engines apart & reassemble them, I always used engine oil. But as I got into bigger more expensive engines like the 750 & 1000 Exup engines, I found that I needed something a bit more substantial. When installing valves into guides for example, engine oil would tend to be wiped off. So I have used Bel-Ray assembly lube (with molylube). This is exactly the same as the Rocol ASP or anti-scuffing paste that I used to use on radio & radar components & it lasted well. But when I used this on my 750 cam bearings, I found that it was a bit too heavy, & the stuff ended up in the sump plate as a gooey mess. So I asked around & ended up using some stuff called Lubriplate #105 white grease from the USA. This I use on cam bearings & followers, big & main bearings.