Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: Johnny4428 on July 28, 2021, 05:07:01 PM

Title: Knock pin.
Post by: Johnny4428 on July 28, 2021, 05:07:01 PM
Anybody come across knock pins being too long between cylinders and cylinder head part No 9430112220.
I can easy shorten them but what length are they supposed to be? I had new ones from CMS as listed for 750k3, but they are just too long.
Title: Re: Knock pin.
Post by: Nurse Julie on July 28, 2021, 05:16:59 PM
I have them in stock in trade packs Johnny. The parts book is wrong 😊😊😊😊

[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: Knock pin.
Post by: Johnny4428 on July 28, 2021, 06:08:53 PM
Thanks Julie, I have one stuck in one side, and I could tell it was a good bit shorter by what was protruding above surface. I’ll have a go at shortening one of the new ones I have. Cheers.
Title: Re: Knock pin.
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on July 28, 2021, 06:14:35 PM
Are they really called “knock pins”?

Whatever does it mean?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Knock pin.
Post by: Nurse Julie on July 28, 2021, 06:17:31 PM
Are they really called “knock pins”?

Whatever does it mean?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A pin that you knock in 😊😊😊😊
Title: Re: Knock pin.
Post by: Johnny4428 on July 28, 2021, 07:06:53 PM
Julie, I have measured again and my pins are not far off the same size as yours which are too long. I have measured the recesses and I wouldn’t put anything greater than 20mm for fear of either poor seal or worse a warped head. I had a root about in old 750 parts that I removed and found a pin 18mm in length, I would say that is the same as the old one that I didn’t manage to remove. I’m not sure why this should be, even if the head has been machined it’s not going to be mm off it it’s going to be thousands. Any ideas?
Title: Re: Knock pin.
Post by: ka-ja on July 28, 2021, 07:07:51 PM
Called "dowels" in engineering and not necessarily hollow tubes.
Title: Re: Knock pin.
Post by: Johnny4428 on July 28, 2021, 07:21:26 PM
Yes well that’s what I would call them if I hadn’t studied the parts list. I reckon I’ve got a cylinder head off a newer model that uses 18mm dowels/“knock pins” 🤣
Title: Re: Knock pin.
Post by: Nurse Julie on July 28, 2021, 07:31:09 PM
Yes well that’s what I would call them if I hadn’t studied the parts list. I reckon I’ve got a cylinder head off a newer model that uses 18mm dowels/“knock pins” 🤣
Give us a few minutes Johnny, I've got Graham on the case having a measure up.
Title: Re: Knock pin.
Post by: Nurse Julie on July 28, 2021, 07:41:29 PM
Grahams had a measure and you need 12 x 18mm (the dowels actually measure a tad under 18mm)
Title: Re: Knock pin.
Post by: Johnny4428 on July 28, 2021, 08:31:57 PM
Thanks Graham and Julie. I ordered new ones because I had an idea I was going to knacker them taking them out but decided to leave the one in and managed to remove one. So I actually have the one that came out which is useable. Thank god I didn’t try and use the 22mm one!
Title: Re: Knock pin.
Post by: Nurse Julie on July 28, 2021, 08:52:32 PM
Thanks Graham and Julie. I ordered new ones because I had an idea I was going to knacker them taking them out but decided to leave the one in and managed to remove one. So I actually have the one that came out which is useable. Thank god I didn’t try and use the 22mm one!
Yes, crisis averted there Johnny... Onwards and upwards 😊😊😊