Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Athame57 on August 14, 2021, 06:25:19 PM

Title: Exhaust mounting studs
Post by: Athame57 on August 14, 2021, 06:25:19 PM
I've just wire brushed my exhaust mounting studs, those seemingly over length things that hold the flanges on, after fitting some shiny new stainless steel nuts on them. They are forever getting rusty and they annoy,  >:( like a spot on a super models face.  :o Before I invest about £50.00 for a new set from DSS, has anyone else done this and did they stay rust free long enough to justify their purchase?
Title: Re: Exhaust mounting studs
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 14, 2021, 06:54:40 PM
I believe Tina at TSS fasteners does studs & nuts in SS for less than DS.
Worth an e-mail to them it will probably be less than half the price.
I was sent a sample stud when I had some cam cover bolts from them.
Title: Re: Exhaust mounting studs
Post by: Bryanj on August 14, 2021, 07:05:04 PM
Stainless nuts on stainless bolts are not the best idea
Title: Re: Exhaust mounting studs
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 14, 2021, 07:20:18 PM
Stainless nuts on stainless bolts are not the best idea
Will Copper slip not ease any galling  issues?
Title: Re: Exhaust mounting studs
Post by: Bryanj on August 14, 2021, 08:03:22 PM
Initially yes but remember they get undone so rarely it wont last
Title: Re: Exhaust mounting studs
Post by: Athame57 on August 14, 2021, 09:03:36 PM
Stainless nuts on stainless bolts are not the best idea
What is wrong with this?
Title: Re: Exhaust mounting studs
Post by: amx1992 on August 14, 2021, 09:11:02 PM
I've been working on stainless machinery with stainless bolts from oil tankers for the last 4/5 years and I've never actually come across any galling issues.

Stainless bolts in aluminium on the other hand are a nightmare if they've been in a marine environment, but not had problems on motorcycle engine casings unless they're used a lot in bad weather/ winter, or have the earth lead bolted to them
Title: Re: Exhaust mounting studs
Post by: ka-ja on August 15, 2021, 10:01:41 AM
Dealt with st/st all my working life, at all temperatures in many chemical situations and really extreme heat/cooling cycles can create seizure problems, however, my homemade 316 st/st exhaust studs were fitted in 1985 with no poroblems, the trouble is  with lesser quality of stainless bolts sold that are not 316 stainless.