Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Athame57 on August 22, 2021, 10:05:06 PM

Title: Routing the four float bowl drain pipes...
Post by: Athame57 on August 22, 2021, 10:05:06 PM
I just got a set of four float bowl drain pipes at the same time as I found myself a seemingly extinct genuine Honda air box element, bye bye scotch brite a while. ;D
They came with clips and two rings... it takes all four pipes to make them fit and I now see that Honda intends we secure all four together, but I've never seen the proper way they are meant to terminate. What is the official or best way to route these?  :-\   
Title: Re: Routing the four float bowl drain pipes...
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 22, 2021, 11:30:36 PM
I'm not 100% certain but thought they terminate via the two clips on either side of the centre stand.

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51331250672_e998ebd37b_h.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2mcY5tj)pipe clips (https://flic.kr/p/2mcY5tj) by Macabe Thiele (https://www.flickr.com/photos/187487200@N03/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Routing the four float bowl drain pipes...
Post by: Athame57 on August 22, 2021, 11:51:35 PM
I'll check they exist on my bike!  ;)
Title: Re: Routing the four float bowl drain pipes...
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 23, 2021, 10:14:43 AM
That's where they exit on mine Ted although.....you also have the two overflow hoses from the top of the carbs to consider. Feeding three overflow pipes through each of those clips is very tight. I have fed the top overflow pipes outside of the clips without any problems.
Title: Re: Routing the four float bowl drain pipes...
Post by: Deano400 on August 23, 2021, 10:38:33 AM
The two clips in the picture are for the battery breather tube (right) and the air filter drain pipe (left). The carb overflow and vent pipes thread between the crank cases and swing arm. The air manifold breather threads through the hole at the rear of the crank cases.
See attachment.
[attach=1]
Title: Re: Routing the four float bowl drain pipes...
Post by: Athame57 on August 23, 2021, 11:41:43 AM
The two clips in the picture are for the battery breather tube (right) and the air filter drain pipe (left). The carb overflow and vent pipes thread between the crank cases and swing arm. The air manifold breather threads through the hole at the rear of the crank cases.
Thanks for this Dean, that is really useful, pdf saved. I can't remember when I last had a breather on my battery, is it important?
Title: Re: Routing the four float bowl drain pipes...
Post by: billdn on August 23, 2021, 11:58:52 AM
If you're using a gel type battery, eg MotoBatt -then no drain pipe required , but if a conventional wet battery then would be advisable as if the battery boils up , you don't want that on the frame or exhaust chrome- voice of experience there!
Title: Re: Routing the four float bowl drain pipes...
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 23, 2021, 09:32:51 PM
Thanks Deano, very useful bit of info. I don't have a battery breather tube. At least re-routing the carb overflows using the correct location will help to identify the leaking carb!!!
Title: Re: Routing the four float bowl drain pipes...
Post by: Deano400 on August 24, 2021, 10:33:26 AM
Another routing document I have that relates more to cables. Might be useful to some.

[attach=1]
Title: Re: Routing the four float bowl drain pipes...
Post by: ka-ja on August 25, 2021, 12:51:49 PM
The 4 overflow pipes are held together in a small square plastic former? and drop down in front of the swinging arm.