Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 25, 2021, 12:56:41 PM

Title: Dent or deisgn rear plastic mudguard
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 25, 2021, 12:56:41 PM
Whilst looking for parts I had to move my rear part mudguard - is the dent (lower left foreground)  supposed to be there or is part of the design?

I remember it being a pig to remove - plus I will need to try & make it look better than it does in the photo any tips on that process welcome!




..(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51401493651_9960d300b9_h.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2mjb6ga)rear half mudguard (https://flic.kr/p/2mjb6ga) by Macabe Thiele (https://www.flickr.com/photos/187487200@N03/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Dent or deisgn rear plastic mudguard
Post by: 4wDaz on August 25, 2021, 02:18:52 PM
Its ok Ted, mines the same  :) I cleaned mine up with soap and water then heated it up with a heat gun which brings the mould oils back to the top so I’m told, the finished result was like new again, obviously been careful not to melt it 
Title: Re: Dent or deisgn rear plastic mudguard
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 25, 2021, 02:58:08 PM
Its ok Ted, mines the same  :) I cleaned mine up with soap and water then heated it up with a heat gun which brings the mould oils back to the top so I’m told, the finished result was like new again, obviously been careful not to melt it

Is a hair drier hot enough or do I need to use my electric paint stripper/remover/blow torch  and hold it a good distance away>
Title: Re: Dent or deisgn rear plastic mudguard
Post by: 4wDaz on August 25, 2021, 03:03:40 PM
Try the hair dryer first but I used a electric hot air gun, be careful because you could soon melt it
Title: Re: Dent or deisgn rear plastic mudguard
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 25, 2021, 03:08:01 PM
Try the hair dryer first but I used a electric hot air gun, be careful because you could soon melt it

Thanks makes sense - i'll set it on blow wave lol.
Title: Re: Dent or deisgn rear plastic mudguard
Post by: billdn on August 25, 2021, 06:32:49 PM
I find several coats of silicone spray can do a reasonable job , but let it dry thoroughly !
Title: Re: Dent or deisgn rear plastic mudguard
Post by: Athame57 on August 26, 2021, 09:05:07 PM
I'm beginning to think this is a common problem but how does it happen?
Title: Re: Dent or deisgn rear plastic mudguard
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 27, 2021, 05:00:31 AM
I'm beginning to think this is a common problem but how does it happen?

The dent I now realise is part of the design the scratch finish on the black plastic is age & use / abuse!
Title: Re: Dent or deisgn rear plastic mudguard
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 27, 2021, 10:52:55 AM
It should slide in really easily Ted using the flat tangs on the frame that slide into the cut outs on either side of the plastic guard. Don't try to bend it, just slide it in from the back pushing toward the front and you will see the frame tangs engage into the guard. Fit the guard before you fit the rear wheel to enable you to get your hand in to guide it.