Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Athame57 on August 31, 2021, 03:30:38 PM

Title: Oil filter bolt
Post by: Athame57 on August 31, 2021, 03:30:38 PM
Mine won't budge,  >:( it's soaking in WD40 just now in case that helps. Before I go and burst a blood vessel or strip the thread first.....it does undo by turning counter-clockwise like most bolts do?Might be the daft question of the month, maybe not,  :-\ but I'm getting paranoid lol!
Title: Re: Oil filter bolt
Post by: Bryanj on August 31, 2021, 03:40:46 PM
Yes it does, put a good fitting socket on the hex and hit the end with a hammer. Is it the 12mm hex original or a 17mm aftermarket?
Title: Re: Oil filter bolt
Post by: Athame57 on August 31, 2021, 03:51:00 PM
Is it the 12mm hex original or a 17mm aftermarket?
17 mm from DSS....
Title: Re: Oil filter bolt
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 31, 2021, 03:54:52 PM
Try to tighten it first just a smidge (that's a technical term) as this sometimes helps to break any corrosion that may be on the threads. Years ago I had to saw through the filter housing to get it off after the 12mm bolt siezed solid and would not come off no matter what I did although if I had a mig welder I would have welded a socket to the nut flange to remove it.
Title: Re: Oil filter bolt
Post by: Athame57 on August 31, 2021, 04:00:49 PM
Years ago I had to saw through the filter housing to get it off after the 12mm bolt siezed solid and would not come off no matter what I did ....
So it only siezed at the surface? I'm mostly worried because it looks to me it screws into a crankcase also?
Title: Re: Oil filter bolt
Post by: Bryanj on August 31, 2021, 04:03:40 PM
Its been done up far too tight, get a decent 6 sided socket preferably 1/2 inch drive and using a tee bar not ratchet hit the end of the bar that fits into socket as you try and turn to undo
Title: Re: Oil filter bolt
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 31, 2021, 04:04:49 PM
I would use a Flank drive socket to avoid damage to the bolt head with a cordless impact driver if you have one.
Title: Re: Oil filter bolt
Post by: Athame57 on August 31, 2021, 04:32:14 PM
I'm saved!  ;D In the end, because I couldn't find the adapter to my impact driver I resorted to some hammering on the sides as well as top, with a twisted grin of effort it suddenly gave the fight and oil poured onto the deck, I forgot some escapes the draining there! ::) Anyway, thanks guys!
Title: Re: Oil filter bolt
Post by: Bryanj on August 31, 2021, 04:39:38 PM
And dont do it up as tight again, just cos its a bigger head does not mean it goes tighter
Title: Re: Oil filter bolt
Post by: TrickyMicky on August 31, 2021, 08:06:08 PM
The 12mm headed bolt is that size for that particular purpose, if you give the 17mm version a good tightening tweak with a 1/2dr socket you are looking for major trouble. Remember, you are not bolting the Forth Bridge together, just tightening an oil filter.
Title: Re: Oil filter bolt
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 31, 2021, 09:35:35 PM
I suspect we think making sure it's tight will stop it leaking rather than just nipping it up and letting the seals take the strain - on car canister filters you just hand tighten them but a year later you need a strap tool to get them off again.
Title: Re: Oil filter bolt
Post by: K2-K6 on August 31, 2021, 09:46:13 PM
It can easily be checked while installing, just hold the filter housing and rotate it back and forth a little within how far it will turn due to the location "peg". While you can stil just rotate it the o-ring is sufficiently tight to seal competently,  once the filter housing bottoms out against the crankcase face it's too tight.
Title: Re: Oil filter bolt
Post by: Athame57 on August 31, 2021, 09:56:04 PM
It can easily be checked while installing, just hold the filter housing and rotate it back and forth a little within how far it will turn due to the location "peg". While you can stil just rotate it the o-ring is sufficiently tight to seal competently,  once the filter housing bottoms out against the crankcase face it's too tight.
Jeepers....and I was worried I had asked a stupid question! My concern was if it wasn't tight enough it could work loose, I'm going downstairs to adjust!  :o
Title: Re: Oil filter bolt
Post by: K2-K6 on September 01, 2021, 09:22:13 AM
 ;D