Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 06, 2021, 02:24:19 PM

Title: Is it essential to replace this valve?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 06, 2021, 02:24:19 PM
Before I grind in the last valve I am thinking this old damage might cause a problem.

It's not deep but it has gone throught the top surface of the valve in 4 places - I suspect in the past some plug porcelain or similar has done the damage.

Should I fit a new valve I'm hoping they are still available?

I'm unlikely to do more than 500 miles a year in reality over the next 4 or 4 years.

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51428977537_b064983376_h.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2mmAXgg)No 4 exhuast valve (https://flic.kr/p/2mmAXgg) by Macabe Thiele (https://www.flickr.com/photos/187487200@N03/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Is it essential to replace this valve?
Post by: taysidedragon on September 06, 2021, 04:00:15 PM
Personally, I wouldn't use that one again. Source a new or good used valve to replace it.
Title: Re: Is it essential to replace this valve?
Post by: Athame57 on September 06, 2021, 07:38:30 PM
Steve at 400Four has got a selection of used valves... https://www.400fourbits.co.uk/#engine
Title: Re: Is it essential to replace this valve?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 06, 2021, 07:44:43 PM
Steve at 400Four has got a selection of used valves... https://www.400fourbits.co.uk/#engine

I've sent an e-mail I wonder why he does not price his parts?
Title: Re: Is it essential to replace this valve?
Post by: Athame57 on September 06, 2021, 10:13:47 PM
Steve at 400Four has got a selection of used valves... https://www.400fourbits.co.uk/#engine

I've sent an e-mail I wonder why he does not price his parts?
Maybe he is shrewd and checks for availability elsewhere!