Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: Rozabikes Tim on March 03, 2010, 05:24:58 PM

Title: K series tanks similarities
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on March 03, 2010, 05:24:58 PM
Can anyone tell me if the basic shape of any K series tank shapes are the same. I appreciate decals etc will vary. Thinking specifically of K2 and K5 models but interested in general interchangability.

Any advise much appreciated.

PS can hold my head high on the site now as I actually now have a sohc Honda. Bought the 750F2 advertised on this site in Feb. It is now sitting gathering dust while I plot cafe racer and find the time!

Title: Re: K series tanks similarities
Post by: AshimotoK0 on March 04, 2010, 09:23:14 AM
I think that after the initial 'wrinkle' Sandcast /  early K0  tanks, the shape was the same until the K7 (which is vastly different) but at some point the petrol tap (petcock) changed sides.
Title: Re: K series tanks similarities
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on March 04, 2010, 07:00:44 PM
Thanks. The reason I ask is I want to build an stretched tank by welding the rear half of one tank onto another complete one. Interchangeability between models will ease the search! Looking at various other donor bike tank styles such as 500T or even a CX500 as shape is quite retro.
Title: Re: K series tanks similarities
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on March 04, 2010, 07:13:43 PM
"DME" built one like that.

(http://gallery.sohc4.net/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=8092&g2_serialNumber=4)

There's a build thread as well somewhere on there...
Title: Re: K series tanks similarities
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on March 04, 2010, 08:27:24 PM
Yep, love the standard "ish" biased look.
Title: Re: K series tanks similarities
Post by: Yoshi823 on March 05, 2010, 09:44:23 AM
Crikey Steve...those rearsets are a bit radical on that bike...maybe one for the younger riders.
Title: Re: K series tanks similarities
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on March 05, 2010, 04:02:07 PM
Dont be silly yoshi. Its to look at not ride!!! Sculpture!!!!
Title: Re: K series tanks similarities
Post by: 62tt on March 05, 2010, 09:19:52 PM
A bit off topic, but is that Carsington Water in the background, (looking at your location)?
Title: Re: K series tanks similarities
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on March 05, 2010, 10:06:44 PM
Good and bad detective detective! Yes Carsington water very near me. However not my bike and I think the guy who built it was Swedish, so probably there.
Title: Re: K series tanks similarities
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on March 06, 2010, 08:37:43 AM
Yes, his name is Daniel Melander and he lives in Sweden.

His sohc4.net username is DME
Title: Re: K series tanks similarities
Post by: 62tt on March 06, 2010, 02:13:45 PM
Good and bad detective detective! Yes Carsington water very near me. However not my bike and I think the guy who built it was Swedish, so probably there.

Yes I've just realised this isn't your bike...Doh

I was "born & bred" quite close to that neck of the woods (nr. Ashbourne). Great biking country (but a bit on the wet & foggy side due to the altitude).
Title: Re: K series tanks similarities
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on March 07, 2010, 05:13:55 PM
Yep great area for 2 wheels. Matlock Bath, Ashbourne / Leek Road and the CAR AND FIDDLE!!!! (av. speed cameras coming). Used to race at Darley Moor v near Ashbourne too.