Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: AshimotoK0 on March 07, 2010, 03:58:24 PM

Title: Barrels and head painted or not?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on March 07, 2010, 03:58:24 PM
This is really a message for SteveD. Do you know if Eamon's K0 has painted head and barrels or not, as I think it was part of the same batch of UK750 imported in Jan '70 as mine. I am getting mine bead blasted  shortly but unsure if they were originally painted or not.

Cheers

AshD
Title: Re: Barrels and head painted or not?
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on March 07, 2010, 06:22:18 PM
I don't know Ash.

I'll ask him.

Steve
Title: Re: Barrels and head painted or not?
Post by: Spitfire on March 07, 2010, 06:43:35 PM
I would think that the engine should be painted, all of my CB750's had painted engines, CB750K0, K1, K2, F1 and of course the F2.

Cheers

Den
Title: Re: Barrels and head painted or not?
Post by: honda-san on March 07, 2010, 08:36:54 PM
crankcases, barrels, head were all painted.

Chris R.
Title: Re: Barrels and head painted or not?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on March 08, 2010, 12:51:31 PM
Cheers for that Chris - your advice on here is greatly appreciated.  BTW I think UKPete now has the 'Bug'

Am I correct in assuming the valve cover is clear coated?

I know you use Simoniz 5-wheel silver  for the crankcases ( as I did on my 400/4 way back in '86) but what about the barells / head? Any recommendations?

BTW I found this on the early conrod replacement etc

http://data.sohc4.net/SB750/750_31.pdf

Interesting to note that all of the early rods were all matched to within 2.5grammes - perhaps it was to achieve the 'tumbler of water on the seat demo'

Have you ever used this stuff I mentioned in this post for rust treatment - its absolutely brilliant

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?topic=2398.msg6240;topicseen#msg6240

cheers Ash D.
Title: Re: Barrels and head painted or not?
Post by: honda-san on March 08, 2010, 09:20:04 PM
Hi Ash,
Engine side covers and cam covers were "clear-coated" by Honda. Curiously, some sump pans and top breather covers also seem to have been clear coated whilst others were painted same as crankcases. Also some variation of finish of oil bowl and cam tensioner housing (though the NOS ones of these I have are painted)

I do still use the Simoniz 5-wheel silver, but am not convinced it is as petrol resistant as it used to be  when it was Holts 5-wheel silver (but then again most things in this "green" world of ours are new / improved to the point of being useless!).
The engine on my sandcast was painted with the Holts  5-wheel back in 1994, along with the paintwork with
Title: Re: Barrels and head painted or not?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on March 09, 2010, 09:36:29 AM
Hey Chris - I reckon everyone (including me of course) will be 'over the moon' that you have joined this site and that you are prepared to share your vast knowledge with us. I like the fact that you sprayed your sandcast yourself with 'rattle cans', I had just assumed Andrew had done it for you. I did the same with my 400/4, I remember spending 4 full nights after work,  in 1986 just spraying  on the pinstripes. I should really have been blue (pillion pegs on swinging arm) but I always wanted the F2 one so I opted for non standard, as I was not as fussy then about originality.

cheers

AshD