Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 20, 2021, 11:15:46 PM

Title: Cam chain guides question?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 20, 2021, 11:15:46 PM
When is it best to fit the cam chain guides, before you fit the cylinder head or afterwards?

In NJ's rebuild they appear to be in place before fitting the cylinder head - I guess it's easier to put them in position at this stage as presumably you can use a torch to ensure they are fitted correctly at the bottom end?.
Title: Re: Cam chain guides question?
Post by: Bryanj on September 21, 2021, 12:31:21 AM
You might get the tensioner in after head on but you wont get the guide in after head on
Title: Re: Cam chain guides question?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 21, 2021, 08:29:21 AM
You might get the tensioner in after head on but you wont get the guide in after head on

Thanks Bryan - I had it in my mind that one came out when I was stripping down the engine with the head in place - clearly I'll get both in situ before I fit the head.
Title: Re: Cam chain guides question?
Post by: ttr400 on September 21, 2021, 06:25:02 PM
On the 400 you can install the guide after the head is on.

Kevin