Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 25, 2021, 12:52:05 PM

Title: CB400 Rocker shaft spring positions
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 25, 2021, 12:52:05 PM
The photos I took when I dismantled the rocker shafts are so dark & oily I can't see how the side springs were located on all the rockers.
My Haynes Manual shows the arrangement I have followed but this seems at odds with my original photo when it comes to number 4 inlet.

Do the ones in the photo below  look correct please?


.(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51513664727_67b597d408_k.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2mu5ZPe)CB400 rocker shafts (https://flic.kr/p/2mu5ZPe) by Macabe Thiele (https://www.flickr.com/photos/187487200@N03/), on Flickr
Title: Re: CB400 Rocker shaft spring positions
Post by: Nurse Julie on September 25, 2021, 01:10:46 PM
All your springs are in their correct positions Ted. They sit on the side that has the reinforced shoulder, slightly wider casing.
Here's mine.

[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: CB400 Rocker shaft spring positions
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 25, 2021, 01:22:12 PM
Thanks Julie,

What is the purpose of the rubber bands as it looks as though they engage the rockers against the camshaft lobes does that help somehow when you fit the top cover to the cylinder head?

Lastly (for today) the oil seal that fits where the rev counter cable goes - mine was missing-  when I fit one does it go in all the way past the pinch bolt drilling in the housing?
Title: Re: CB400 Rocker shaft spring positions
Post by: Nurse Julie on September 25, 2021, 01:28:15 PM
Thanks Julie,

What is the purpose of the rubber bands as it looks as though they engage the rockers against the camshaft lobes does that help somehow when you fit the top cover to the cylinder head?

Lastly (for today) the oil seal that fits where the rev counter cable goes - mine was missing-  when I fit one does it go in all the way past the pinch bolt drilling in the housing?
The rubber bands hold the rockers up out of the way. You need to back the tappets right off and hold rockers up with bands to prevent any downward pressure on the top of the valve stems when you are fitting and torquing. If you don't do this, you can very easily bend valve stems when refitting.
I will need to check with Graham because I can't remember but I think the tacho oil seal needs to be pushed in as far as it will go. I'll get back to you on that in a minute.
Title: Re: CB400 Rocker shaft spring positions
Post by: Athame57 on September 25, 2021, 03:57:13 PM
Somewhere down the line I think it was said a spring placed on the wrong side , or wrong way around can explain clicking sounds from the top end?
Title: Re: CB400 Rocker shaft spring positions
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 25, 2021, 04:05:24 PM
Thanks for the tips - I have backed off my tappets - elastic bands are in place - in the next couple of days I will fit the top cover(s) - presently soaking the two oil rails in Evaporust prior to further cleaning & squirting some oil through the pipes again.