Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: totty on March 18, 2010, 07:52:56 PM

Title: Fuse ratings - continuous OR blow ?
Post by: totty on March 18, 2010, 07:52:56 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know if the fuse ratings are for continuous or to blow ? The spares I have are labeled for both e.g. 8A continuous 15A blow, 17A cont 35A blow etc.
I've discovered that all of my fuses are the wrong ratings including a household 13A where there should be a 7A.

Cheers

Allan
Title: Re: Fuse ratings - continuous OR blow ?
Post by: Spitfire on March 19, 2010, 02:27:57 PM
I just bunged in Halfords clear fuses of the rating printed on the fuse box.

Cheers

Den
Title: Re: Fuse ratings - continuous OR blow ?
Post by: totty on March 19, 2010, 03:28:53 PM
I'm told that the general rule of thumb on British cars is glass fuses are labelled at their continuous rating and blade fuses at their bow rating, but I'm not sure if it's correct or if the fuses in Japanese bikes follow the same rule.

I've ordered a mixed pack of fuses from ebay, hopefully they'll just have one rating on them so the choice will be easy.
Title: Re: Fuse ratings - continuous OR blow ?
Post by: Yoshi823 on March 20, 2010, 04:03:55 PM
The fuses that were used on the old Hondas were of the glass type as shown in the M&P page...

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/526090/Spares/Bulbs-and-Fuses/On-Two-Wheels/Fuses

There are so many types of fuses though...slow blow...quick blow...anti-surge. The fuseable rating for bikes is that which the fuse should be able to take continuously, so you wouldn't want a quick blow type. The ones with a little spring inside are either anti-surge or quick blow.
Title: Re: Fuse ratings - continuous OR blow ?
Post by: totty on March 20, 2010, 08:28:11 PM
Cheers, it's good to have confirmation that I've fitted the right ones. Now I just need to remove the scotchlocks and the wiring should be sorted.