Honda-SOHC
Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: billdn on December 16, 2021, 11:15:23 AM
-
Any suggestions on making a vintage leather jacket more supple, apart from old engine oil !😂
-
Always had good results using Motul cleaner - may need a few applications depending on bad your jacket is.
-
That old sentence of "trying on a small unobtrusive bit first" relevance is obvious, I've been trying different things to make leather more supple for gloves etc and find the most effective so far is castor oil. It seems to soak in much more effectively than almost anything comparable, should be safe on your own skin (my supply from medicinal use intent) and should get it much less dry with more supple texture and water repelling qualities.
I bought a 5 ltre size as cost is effective for me, also some spare to dose petrol supply in my car lightly and give that R smell :)
Also, after getting the leather effectively rehydration with castor, then some of this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Effax-4273-Leather-Balm-500ml/dp/B001YGWTL2/ref=asc_df_B001YGWTL2/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309957083750&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13071906291309486551&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045915&hvtargid=pla-439875250793&th=1 that has lanolin ingredient to finish. Used on leather footware to in our household.
-
I use Nikwax gell.
-
There's some leather food (link enclosed) which when used correctly is brilliantClean the jacket with warm water and a sponge until what ever you are wiping it with comes clean then give it a really good rub with this stuff and hang it up somewhere warm and leave the stuff to soak in. Once absorbed, simply rub up and sort of polish it up and take any excess away with a duster. Any leather feed will do it as it conditions the leather and rehydrates it so becomming supple. Most horse tack shops will have some great stuff if you ask.
I used to be a rep for Scott Leathers around 2000-20002 and it was the question I was always asked at the shows by blokes trying to eek out that last season out of the oldest, favouritest, jacket before HAVING to buy a new one off me ;D
Its about 8 quid a tub or similar, if I get chance I'll try to find a link to it tonight and pop it up on here later. I swear by it.
Found it straight away on amazon......
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00336YJ0U/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=15121&creative=330641&creativeASIN=B00336YJ0U&SubscriptionId=linkCode=as2&tag=brascpuk12189-21
-
I've been using Renapur on all things leather since the 1980's and have yet to find anything better. Expensive but last for years and is waterproof too.
https://renapur.com/motorcyclists/
-
Vintage leather jackets can be worth some serious money particularly Lewis Leathers (Aviakit).
I had a small red 441 jacket and it's a bit loud and small for me these days so put it on ebay about 5 years ago and it went through the roof with many enquiries and offers from Japan. Withdrew it and sold it to a dealer at Kempton Park. Bought my 550F import from DK with the money.
-
Thats the way to do it ;D