Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: billdn on December 27, 2021, 08:57:17 AM
-
Santa bought me a new soldering iron, as I'm doing some electrical work but unlike my old one this has a variable temperature gauge. For routine joining /changing bullets and connectors what would be ideal temperature in centigrade?
Nice to have the choice rather than just get the point hot! , like my old Halfords cheepie.
-
Electronic engineer here. I usually set my iron to around 420c.
-
Depends if you are using lead-free or not.
If you are working with 60/40 lead solder (which I would recommend for old Hondas) then 350°C should be OK. 420°C 'ish for lead-free.
Don't solder any old Honda stuff (that's had solder on it already) with lead-free as you will get a very dull and inferior joint.
-
Cheers guys.!
-
Also worth getting some non-corrosive flux paste if soldering old bike electrical parts.
It's often quite difficult soldering old wired parts as the conductors were bare copper on Honda's , so after 50 years can be hard to solder. I usually splay out the strands and clean up by scratching with a scalpel blade and then re-twisting and dipping in flux to aid tinning. Of course new wire is the best solution but not always practical to replace.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384121468894