Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: oldchuffer on February 04, 2022, 05:16:43 PM

Title: Ignition barrel
Post by: oldchuffer on February 04, 2022, 05:16:43 PM
Progressing with my "box of bits" rebuild, I thought the ignition barrel would be a snug fit in the light cluster housing but theres quite a gap (see pic). Have i got an incorrect barrel or am i missing a part?
Title: Re: Ignition barrel
Post by: Nurse Julie on February 04, 2022, 05:31:43 PM
I think they all have a gap around them by what i can remember, I know Hettie did, but that does look a bigger gap than I remember.
Edit..... Or maybe Hettie was just more central in the hole, giving the same size gap all the way round.
Title: Re: Ignition barrel
Post by: oldchuffer on February 04, 2022, 05:47:05 PM
Thanks Julie, yes i couldnt get it to sit centrally for the picture so it makes the gap look bigger.
Title: Re: Ignition barrel
Post by: Sesman on February 04, 2022, 05:48:10 PM
Mine un. Seems pretty normal to me.
Title: Re: Ignition barrel
Post by: Bryanj on February 04, 2022, 06:08:56 PM
As it used to be said in the trade

They are all like that sir.
Title: Re: Ignition barrel
Post by: Oddjob on February 04, 2022, 06:48:09 PM
Phil, fit the yoke pinch bolts the other way round. If the nut ever shakes loose it stops the whole bolt falling out. That way looks easier to work on but TBH if your ever undoing that bolt your removing everything anyway.
Title: Re: Ignition barrel
Post by: Nurse Julie on February 04, 2022, 06:48:58 PM
You must be correct Bryan. Its a pretty poor design really, you would have thought Honda would have designed something without a gap but, obviously not 😂😂😂
Title: Re: Ignition barrel
Post by: Oddjob on February 04, 2022, 07:04:13 PM
Most likely a poor fit as the barrel mounts to the top yoke and the console attaches to the speedo bracket, would be better if they'd made the hoop smaller but then they should have made the screws mounts stronger as well, number of them I've seen bust open is beyond a joke. I found some stainless screws for mine so they don't rust the heads and round off when you go to replace a bulb.
Title: Re: Ignition barrel
Post by: Sesman on February 04, 2022, 08:27:33 PM
Thanks, Ken. Actually I was already on to that as you had mentioned it on a different post last year. The current arrangement is temporary as I’ve got to drop the forks to fit the re chromed fork ears.

Just out of shot is a ‘post it’ note to remind me.

Thanks for the reminder, though👍
Title: Re: Ignition barrel
Post by: ttr400 on February 05, 2022, 08:15:33 AM
Sorry for the hijack,  but trying to reply to a message from ken  (Oddjob)  it won't send and says message blocked?

Ken let me know.

Kevin
Title: Re: Ignition barrel
Post by: Oddjob on February 05, 2022, 03:24:45 PM
Sorry Kevin, my fault. it's the settings I have for my PMs. I keep forgetting I've set them to buddies only. Kept getting aggravation so restricted them. Your added now.