Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: mickwinf on February 20, 2022, 03:44:03 PM

Title: preparing parts for zinc plating
Post by: mickwinf on February 20, 2022, 03:44:03 PM
Hi i have some parts for zinc plating, carb parts and bolts etc. I have read some old posts but i am unsure how to prepare for the replating, do i need to strip the old plate or will the plating firm do it? i am not keen on chemical mixing like Ash suggests so up to now i am just wire brushing to a clean surface.
Title: Re: preparing parts for zinc plating
Post by: philward on February 20, 2022, 04:40:30 PM
Try food grade citric acid  - cheap and safe. See what you think!
https://www.suffolklatchcompany.com/blogs/news/removing-zinc-from-screws

I mostly use a rotary wire brush though
Title: Re: preparing parts for zinc plating
Post by: AshimotoK0 on February 21, 2022, 08:01:18 AM
Any acid will remove it at various speeds. Spirits of salts..hydrochloric acid at around 30% concentration will remove it very quickly. My alkaline based Witches brew is much gentler to the base metal but I appreciate it needs heat and EDTA an ingredient is relatively expensive. I wouldn't strip critical parts like spokes or springs in strong acid though. Spirits of Salts readily available on eBay. Brick cleaner also contains hydrochloric acid but some brands are very weak.