Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Charliecharlcomb on March 10, 2022, 07:10:17 AM

Title: Petrol tank breather
Post by: Charliecharlcomb on March 10, 2022, 07:10:17 AM
Hi there,

I have just had my tank repainted and replaced the filler cap with a David Silver pattern one. It looks like it isn't allowing the tank to breathe as I don't get flow from the petrol tap with it closed. One of the reasons I went for the replacement was it comes with pins that have circlips at the end, rather than the riveted originals which got damaged when it was removed for painting.

I'm tempted to refit the old one but before I do does anyone know how these things actually work, and is there any test or modification I could do to improve the situation?

The new one have a cross head screw in the center under the cap (its very stiff and I haven't managed to undo it), the original has a rivet.

Any tips would be welcome as always.
Title: Re: Petrol tank breather
Post by: Johnwebley on March 10, 2022, 07:16:54 AM
Check your original, it should have a small vent/hole in the centre plate.



Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Petrol tank breather
Post by: Charliecharlcomb on March 10, 2022, 07:24:46 AM
Check your original, it should have a small vent/hole in the centre plate.



Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

They both have small vent holes in the centre plate, it's whether they do anything that is the problem!
Title: Re: Petrol tank breather
Post by: Johnwebley on March 10, 2022, 07:33:20 AM
Check the holes are clear, run a small drill through them.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Petrol tank breather
Post by: philward on March 10, 2022, 09:26:35 AM
This was my experience ref petrol cap

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,25533.msg233997.html#msg233997