Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: billdn on March 19, 2022, 10:35:35 PM

Title: Cleaning crankcase mating surfaces
Post by: billdn on March 19, 2022, 10:35:35 PM
Any tips on removing old gasket cement from crankcase bodies before re assembly?
Title: Re: Cleaning crankcase mating surfaces
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on March 19, 2022, 11:39:41 PM
I found that if it's Hondabond Acetone (Nail Varnish Remover) to be quie effective but you need to try to build up a wet surface so it soaks in & softens the sealant - then use a Muslin type cloth to scrub  it away. I found some cloths seem to work better than others.

Quite a redious & time consuming task - seems that the longer the sealant has been there the longer it takes to get off.

I also tried some Silicone Sealer Remover but the results were not as effective as using Acetone.
Title: Re: Cleaning crankcase mating surfaces
Post by: billdn on March 20, 2022, 08:58:44 AM
Cheers Ted,
From what I can see first time it's been apart, so very old and hard.
Pity the wife doesn't wear nail varnish 😂. Have cellulose thinners so I'll give that a go or down to Boots make up counter.
Title: Re: Cleaning crankcase mating surfaces
Post by: Sesman on March 20, 2022, 09:49:06 AM
Agree with Ted. Buy a few litres of acetone from eBay or similar. Wear gloves, glasses and work in the open air ;)