Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: billdn on April 07, 2022, 04:23:39 PM

Title: Gasket paper instead of gaskets
Post by: billdn on April 07, 2022, 04:23:39 PM
I have some left over gasket paper, any problems with using it for the gasket for the sump pan and Air breather box on top of the rocker box. ?
Title: Re: Gasket paper instead of gaskets
Post by: Laverdaroo on April 07, 2022, 05:07:51 PM
I doubt it, I would but somebody will say otherwise no doubt ;)

Its the Yorkshire in me!
Title: Re: Gasket paper instead of gaskets
Post by: TrickyMicky on April 07, 2022, 05:23:28 PM
Just make sure it is the correct thickness, we've all heard how particular Mr Honda can be with the precise length of some bolts!!  Take your time when marking/cutting out round some of the bolt holes, on some casings the amount of "land" round the hole can be quite narrow.
Title: Re: Gasket paper instead of gaskets
Post by: billdn on April 07, 2022, 07:31:43 PM
Hmm, didn't keep old gasket and not sure of thickness. Maybe play safe.
Thanks.
Title: Re: Gasket paper instead of gaskets
Post by: Oddjob on April 07, 2022, 08:59:27 PM
Just ask someone to measure what thickness they are Bill. Might as well use it up and save some money at the same time. I've found all the bolt holes are 5mm deeper than the screw/bolt specified by Honda. 32mm bolt hole will take a 35mm bolt with no problem.

Title: Re: Gasket paper instead of gaskets
Post by: Bryanj on April 07, 2022, 11:30:47 PM
If its a 750 fine, if a 500/550 they are O rings anyway
Title: Re: Gasket paper instead of gaskets
Post by: billdn on April 08, 2022, 08:50:08 AM
It's a 400/4 Bryan  ;).
Title: Re: Gasket paper instead of gaskets
Post by: Bryanj on April 08, 2022, 09:30:07 AM
I have a feeling they are also O rings
Title: Re: Gasket paper instead of gaskets
Post by: taysidedragon on April 08, 2022, 11:24:32 AM
The 400f sump gasket is a thick waxy gasket. I don't think a thin paper one would seal very well and easily broken.
The breather cover is a normal paper gasket and would be easy to make. The o-ring seal is for the cam cover.
Title: Re: Gasket paper instead of gaskets
Post by: mike the bike on April 08, 2022, 11:18:34 PM
I bought a set of hole punches to make the holes. Best to use a bit of ply or hardwood to punch against.
Title: Re: Gasket paper instead of gaskets
Post by: Laverda Dave on April 09, 2022, 10:05:55 AM
Here's a video of how to make them:
https://youtu.be/KJAgMhUOU-8