Honda-SOHC

General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: beermaker on May 20, 2010, 10:49:37 PM

Title: New member introduction
Post by: beermaker on May 20, 2010, 10:49:37 PM
Hello Everyone

Just joined as a new member after finding the forum whilst browsing for info.  I've had a 1985 CB650 Nighthawk mouldering in my garage after buying it for
Title: Re: New member introduction
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on May 21, 2010, 07:34:10 AM
Welcome to the club.

We are not primarily a DOHC forum but loads of us have them as well - so fire away!

Steve
Title: Re: New member introduction
Post by: beermaker on May 21, 2010, 04:38:34 PM
Hi Steve :o)

Cheers for the warm welcome, always a pleasure to meet people with common interests, even if only metaphorically!

From what I can tell, my CB650 is a SOHC with rockers, have I missed something?  It's definately a Nighthawk from what I can tell from the bits!  When I shift my little honda h100 and clear all the kids stuff out of my garage so I can get to it properly I'll take some pics of it.

Cheers
Philip
Title: Re: New member introduction
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on May 21, 2010, 04:56:24 PM
The Nighthawks were both - but an '85 must be DOHC

Unless of course you know different!

Pictures please!

Steve
Title: Re: New member introduction
Post by: UK Pete on May 21, 2010, 05:58:46 PM
Hi Philip. welcome to the site,
Pete
Title: Re: New member introduction
Post by: beermaker on May 21, 2010, 06:49:08 PM
Hi Pete, Thank you for the welcome :o)

Will go in the workshop in a minute and have a look Steve - I think it's a single but now you've got me wondering!  lol!  Will let you know what it is soon.  Would love to take some pics but it's partly buried under bicycles and pushchairs and the like (my better half and her kids have moved in with me recently, and although lovely, she doesn't appreciate my needs to go and fettle!)

Cheers
Philip
Title: Re: New member introduction
Post by: Spitfire on May 21, 2010, 06:53:47 PM
Regardless of the extra cam (if there is one) welcome aboard anyway.

Cheers

Den
Title: Re: New member introduction
Post by: beermaker on May 22, 2010, 12:27:31 PM
Hi Dave :o)  Thank you for the welcome :o)

Just spent a (very hot and sweaty!) hour in the shed with a socket set, a propane torch and lots of WD40.  Managed to get the rocker covers off and the cylinder head cover, and only sheared 3 bolts out of 22 which isn't bad going!  It is indeed a single cam, so I may be wrong about the age.  I never got the V5 and I lost the number plate(!) but I'm sure it was a B reg, so could be an '84 bike?

Anyway, besides shearing the three bolts (luckily got a bridgeport milling machine to bore them out without knacking the head!) the cam lobes, rockers and valve stems seem in good nick, although anything exposed to the world is a bit corroded including the location dowels.  Had to use a copper mallet to dislodge the cylinder head cover so hoping I haven't warped it, or it'll be another job on the miller to skim it down flat again, or just use a lot of hylomar during the rebuild!

Will post some pics when I can find my camera!

Cheers for now
Philip
Title: Re: New member introduction
Post by: Sprunghub on May 22, 2010, 12:39:31 PM
If it's an 'import'....which presumably it is (below link proves, you should never presume anything).....it may be 'manufactured' earlier, & then "First Reg'd" as a 'B' after being brought into the Country.  Google info & the V5 should help.

My '76 F1 is on a '78 'T' plate.....they were so popular in their day it sat in the showroom unsold for 2 years  :o ::) ???, my wife's U.S. model '88 VTR250 is on a 1991 plate having been imported unregistered & my import CB-1 was an '89 bike on a later plate too having been brought in from the States at about 3 years old still in the "crate".


All adds to the fun !!.............  this may be useful

http://www.myhonda650.com/cb650history.htm
Title: Re: New member introduction
Post by: Bryanj on May 22, 2010, 01:13:27 PM
Wasnt a popular bike when new so could easily have sat in a crate for some time.

By then it should have had a vin plate which ought to show the year (note the should and ought!!)

If you have no reg or V5 you will have to do a proof of year of manufacture reg process, letter from Honda
Title: Re: New member introduction
Post by: pae on May 23, 2010, 07:47:14 PM
Hi and welcome to the site. See my sig for my 1979 650Z rebuild. Might be some info in there to help you out, shout if you have any specific questions,

regards, Phil
Title: Re: New member introduction
Post by: beermaker on May 25, 2010, 07:40:02 PM
Cheers for  all the warm welcomes and advice everyone :)  Got some good ideas and inspiration from your website phil, cheers!  Still working on getting enough space in my shed to work on the bike properly, but managed to get the rocker covers and cylinder head cover off and just working on cleaning them up with a wire brush and buffer.  Going to shot blast the head cover (and the head and block when removed) as they're too intricate to do with a brush.

Will keep you all posted with some pics soon I hope :)
Cheers
Phil