Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: pae on June 06, 2010, 09:28:44 PM

Title: tank sealer on GRP tank
Post by: pae on June 06, 2010, 09:28:44 PM
Checked a GRP tank today that's been in the garage for a long time, and it leaks where a fixing stud is bonded in to the underside. Otherwise it's fine, and a nice tank so I'd like to use it.

Can I use one of the tank sealants to fix this, and is that a good idea anyway with a GRP tank, as I've read a few reports lately about grp tanks 'dissolving' with the latest fuels.

I'll not be using the mounting stud in future, so there'll be no load on it when in use. Do you reckon it'll be OK to use an internal sealant, or any other ideas about how I could seal it (externally around the stud perhaps?)

Phil
Title: Re: tank sealer on GRP tank
Post by: totty on June 06, 2010, 09:33:19 PM
Some types of resins wont bond to each other so I'd attempt an external repair, easier to remove if it goes wrong.
Title: Re: tank sealer on GRP tank
Post by: pae on June 06, 2010, 09:36:41 PM
Good point, I guess I could check that with the suppliers. External repair would be nice and simple if I can find something that I can run a bead of around the stud. Any ideas what sealer would seal petrol?

Phil
Title: Re: tank sealer on GRP tank
Post by: Seamus on June 06, 2010, 10:45:10 PM
Would GPR resin not work? The tank is built up of glass mattig and GRP resin.

I would expect that if you mixed up some resin and poured it in, swirled it around and made sure that ta good layer covered the suspect area, then it should be OK.
Title: Re: tank sealer on GRP tank
Post by: totty on June 07, 2010, 08:49:39 AM
Not all resins are fuel resistant. I used to work for a company that made GRP underground fuel tanks, I remember them reguiring a liner of a different resin. I worked in IT so never really picked up enough detail to advise on which resin you need.
Title: Re: tank sealer on GRP tank
Post by: Seamus on June 07, 2010, 12:31:10 PM
These folk seem to be pretty knowledgeable. May be worth a call.

http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/category/product/tabid/61/productid/1504/sename/crystic-491-pa-resin-including-catalyst/default.aspx
Title: Re: tank sealer on GRP tank
Post by: pae on June 07, 2010, 07:35:47 PM
Thanks Seamus, they've got some good stuff,

Phil