Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: kiki.o on September 15, 2022, 11:27:30 PM

Title: Racing a <500cc bike - best option?
Post by: kiki.o on September 15, 2022, 11:27:30 PM
Hi all.

After  finishing the 400/4 bike(with some minor modificiations to do), i am looking for a new project. Not a resto this time, but interested in building (and racing) a racer.

So for this category(sub 500cc, and sub 1981 year), what would be the best pick?

Has anyone been racing in this oldtimer class, any experience?

I am in the dilemma:
1) Honda 400/4 - here is plenty to work with, maybe go with the 466kit? the frame is different than the 500/550? different for worse or better?
2) Honda 500/4 - no replacement for displacement, right? even so, is this better option(regarding the transmission issues) for racing than the 466 option?
3) Anything else that i am not seeing as an option(XS500, Z500?), but as far as I can see,the power output is arround the same, but with Hondas I am most familiar with, and  the parts are widely available. Any other option?

Any advice would be greatly appriciated, before i jump into a project with the wrong base :)

Thanks,
Kristijan

Title: Re: Racing a <500cc bike - best option?
Post by: Oddjob on September 15, 2022, 11:30:21 PM
Lots of people in the UK seem to race the CB450, the apparently go extremely well for such an old engine. It's cheap, it's narrow so no clearance problem like a flat four has, and only having 2 cylinders it's cheaper to service and maintain.
Title: Re: Racing a <500cc bike - best option?
Post by: philward on September 16, 2022, 04:28:56 PM
http://www.daviesmotorsport.com/portfoliocat/classic-honda-race-bikes/
Title: Re: Racing a <500cc bike - best option?
Post by: kiki.o on September 17, 2022, 11:58:44 PM
Yeah, the CB450 might be the right choice, but not as common as I might like... I'll see what's available

@philward, thanks, but that's way out my league, and I'd like to build the bike myself, not buy one.  :D
Title: Re: Racing a <500cc bike - best option?
Post by: philward on September 18, 2022, 09:09:16 PM
Yeah, the CB450 might be the right choice, but not as common as I might like... I'll see what's available

@philward, thanks, but that's way out my league, and I'd like to build the bike myself, not buy one.  :D

No, not suggesting you buy one, I was just illustrating that the 500 can be made competitive (I think Davies Sports bikes have won the classic TT) - and plenty of parts are available easily