Honda-SOHC

General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: Dorset Bob on September 27, 2022, 01:03:25 PM

Title: Hello Guys, from a "new" XL250 K0 Owner
Post by: Dorset Bob on September 27, 2022, 01:03:25 PM
Hello everyone,

Having been looking out for a XL250 for a while, I have just acquired this:-

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52333175736_5e4c4ca0dd_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2nJvcTo) (https://flic.kr/p/2nJvcTo)   (https://www.flickr.com/photos/16537715@N07/)

I am very pleased to get my hands on a UK model.
It is a K0, registered in 1974, which I think are quite rare now.

The DVLA records say that the tax has expired on the 31st May 1979  ;D, I therefore need to get it registered as a "Historic Vehicle" so it will be exempt from road tax and MOT.

It needs some fettling to get it to run right, but I am looking forward to leisurely riding on the B roads, or green ones, and feeling like a teenager again.  ;)
Title: Re: Hello Guys, from a "new" XL250 K0 Owner
Post by: Matt_Harrington on September 27, 2022, 01:34:37 PM
Nice bike Bob. I used to ride around on one in Antigua when my folks moved out there.
Oh, and welcome....
Matt
Title: Re: Hello Guys, from a "new" XL250 K0 Owner
Post by: Laverdaroo on September 27, 2022, 01:55:47 PM
Welcome to the best forum on the planet!
lovely bike and what great condition, I rebuilt one of those with a pal a couple of years ago, they are fantasticlittle plodders with a surprising amount of grunt when you need it. Enjoy the bike and the forum, its a great site.
Title: Re: Hello Guys, from a "new" XL250 K0 Owner
Post by: Bryanj on September 27, 2022, 03:54:30 PM
Download the mot exemption form and tax application form from DVLA fill them in and take it with the V5 bit and insurance proof to a post office that does tax and they will tax it free and alter the V5 on the records, i got two V5 one first saying it was now in my name but still a motorcycle, then 3 months later one saying "Historic" but it still showed as taxed all the time
Title: Re: Hello Guys, from a "new" XL250 K0 Owner
Post by: Nurse Julie on September 27, 2022, 04:07:40 PM
No insurance needed Bryan for the purpose of registering as Historic, nor a V112 MOT exemption, that's only needed if bike has had its 40th birthday but not yet entitled to Historic which is the following April 1st after its 40th birthday (which with this bike it qualifies for both due to age being a 1974)
Title: Re: Hello Guys, from a "new" XL250 K0 Owner
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 27, 2022, 04:18:48 PM
I tried at the Post Office first they basically put it in the DVLA post bag and a new V5 came back unchanged as regards taxation class.
DVLA would not change my taxation class to historic without it being taxed at the same time.
I had to Insure it then send it to DVLA with a V10 & Mot exeption certificate - they never returned my Insurance Certificate.

I think a lot depends on who processes your application.

Amendment: And if the person has worked  there more than 5 minutes.
Title: Re: Hello Guys, from a "new" XL250 K0 Owner
Post by: Nurse Julie on September 27, 2022, 04:28:18 PM
DVLA would not change my taxation class to historic without it being taxed.
To tax it I had to insure it.
I think a lot depends on who processes your application.
Yes Ted, there are some Numpties at DVLA and the Post Office. When you change the log book to Historic, if its not taxed already, it automatically gets taxed anyway. Its always said on DVLA that insurance isn't required (except if you live in Northern Ireland).
Generally, I think problems usually start occurring when the bike has been off the road for so many years and it never got transferred over to the new DVLA system, or if its a very old style log book, that gets them all jittery as well. Most Post Offices are totally clued up on it now, thank goodness.
Title: Re: Hello Guys, from a "new" XL250 K0 Owner
Post by: Matt_Harrington on September 27, 2022, 04:45:54 PM
Ted, I agree, it depends on who processes the paperwork whether it is either at the Post Office or DVLA. I have registered 4 bikes this year as historic and everyone was different in the was it was processed. Patience is required! I gave up on my local PO as they claimed there was no option on the computer to process it!
Matt
Title: Re: Hello Guys, from a "new" XL250 K0 Owner
Post by: Johnny4428 on September 27, 2022, 05:09:54 PM
Welcome to the forum Bob. That is one nice looking bike. Enjoy the help and banter on this most helpful forum.
Title: Re: Hello Guys, from a "new" XL250 K0 Owner
Post by: Dorset Bob on September 27, 2022, 07:48:18 PM
Wow, what a welcome! Thank you everyone. :)
I have been on a few forums, only to be disappointed, so I am so pleased to have found this one!
It is brilliant to see you lot riding bikes that I owned (or aspired to) in the past. ;)
Cheers,
Bob
Title: Re: Hello Guys, from a "new" XL250 K0 Owner
Post by: philward on September 27, 2022, 08:22:29 PM
Welcome Bob, thats a lovely bike! Hope you enjoy the forum
Title: Re: Hello Guys, from a "new" XL250 K0 Owner
Post by: Davelu88 on September 27, 2022, 08:54:54 PM
Welcome Bob,  I recently restored a Suzuki Ts 250 and a Yamaha Rt360 which were both nice bikes but I really wanted the Honda XL but never found the right one . Very good choice
Title: Re: Hello Guys, from a "new" XL250 K0 Owner
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 27, 2022, 09:18:50 PM
Must have plenty of low down torque a single 250 4 stroke & fun to ride.
Title: Re: Hello Guys, from a "new" XL250 K0 Owner
Post by: Oddjob on September 27, 2022, 09:25:43 PM
My friend had the same style bike, same colour but a 125. Got written off when a Police car just "Didn't see him coming" and hit him head on, on the wrong side of the road.