Honda-SOHC
General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: LetsRide on October 05, 2022, 06:42:36 PM
-
I have joined this group as I recently bought a CB400/4 F2. It had been residing in a shed in Exeter for the last 23 years and brought the bike back to Herne Bay, Kent, and got it up on to the bench the same day. For the most part, it is pretty solid although the rear mudguard is shot and will need to be replaced and probably the exhaust system as well, but I am looking to get it running first. And that is where I am at right now.
I bought a new battery and spark plugs thinking I might get lucky, but no chance. I loaded fuel into my workshop hanging petrol tank and it p...ed straight through the carbs and out of the overflows, So the carbs are now on the bench being stripped and will be cleaned ultra-sonicly - once I get an ultrasonic cleaner. They were rammed with "mud" and the jets blocked or partially so.
I have the Honda "shop manual" for the bike which tells how the carbs should be stripped (mostly - missing out some detail) but is rather lacking on the rebuild. Don't we all find it easy to get things apart??? So, the first quest is if anybody has written a more comprehensive strip & rebuild document for the carbs that will help me get them back together and set-up in a sensible manner?
Thanks all who read my intro and I look forward to getting the bike back on the road - where it deserves to be.
Kind regards.
Adrian
-
Hello and welcome to the forum, lots of good info on here so keep asking!
This link is quite good for the Keihin carbs on the 400 and 350 fours
https://www.vintagebikebuilder.com/cb350-400f-carb-rebuild-demonstration.html
Best regards from Orkney
Ian
Forgot to say - the post is rather long!
-
Welcome to this very friendly and useful forum Adrian. You have come to the right place with that machine. Plenty knowledge on the 400 on here.
-
Welcome to the forum Adrian.
-
Welcome to the forum Adrian.
I found this video very instructive when I rebuilt my carbs during lock down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFTOfYl5BSc
-
Welcome to the 4um, lots of helpon here.
-
Welcome to the 400/4 forum, lots of helpful advice on here. Enjoy.
-
Welcome to the forum Adrian, hope you enjoy the forum
-
Hi Adrian, good luck with the 400 and welcome to the forum. Just joined recently myself and there seems to be a wealth of experience and nice people.
-
Hello and welcome to the forum, lots of good info on here so keep asking!
This link is quite good for the Keihin carbs on the 400 and 350 fours
https://www.vintagebikebuilder.com/cb350-400f-carb-rebuild-demonstration.html
Best regards from Orkney
Ian
Forgot to say - the post is rather long!
Ian, That is a very good link I've saved it for future use. Ted
-
Welcome Adrian. I too have a set of carbs on the bench awaiting the laying on of hands!....
Matt
-
Yes it is very easy to take things apart, a bit more difficult to remember how to put them back together, but it keeps you thinking.
Cheers
Dennis
-
Welcome to the forum Adrian ;) pics please .
-
Welcome Adrian,
Plenty of Honda members who can advise you, loads of YouTube videos which help as well whereby picture worth a thousand words.
My advise is get a number of plastic boxes and label each one per carburettor, mine is done outside left, inside left, inside right and outside right. This is as you are sitting on the seat and facing towards the front of the bike. Remove and strip one carb at a time only so that nothing gets mixed up and most of all Take your Time.
-
Identifying the carbs:
If you look really closely at the bare bodies (sorry, wrong website :o) you will see that each carb is actually numbered 1,2,3,4. I can't remember where on the casting the number is right now but it's not too difficult to find. As others say, take your time, get four containers - plastic pots with dividers are ideal and take lots of pics. A small magnetic JIS screwdriver makes it easy to put some of the tiny screws back in - especially those that hold the arm to the throttle slide.
Ian
-
On the body of the carb sideways on are stamped a series of numbers 1 2 3 4 the relevant number is circled out so carb 2 reads [ 1 O 3 4] Carb 1 reads [O 2 3 4 ] and so on.
Thats how my spare set are marked.
-
Thanks Ted,
Yes, I just checked a spare set and that's how mine are marked - a slightly strange method but works fine for me.
Ian
-
Welcome to the forum Adrian ;) pics please .
Some pics, as requested. These are of the bike 3 or 4 years ago when it came out of the shed for a while before going back in again. It was last on the road in early 1999. It is currently up on the workbench as a work in progress. Currently working on de-gunking the carbs.
-
thats in nice nick, well done for having another go, its ace when they fire up :D