Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Matt_Harrington on October 23, 2022, 04:26:49 PM

Title: Strange jets on 400/4 carbs
Post by: Matt_Harrington on October 23, 2022, 04:26:49 PM
I'm fairly certain the spare set of carbs I have (that are in the process of being restored) have never been opened up. On dismantling there are a couple of jets that look very strange.
They are straight but the 'holes' look to be crushed - most peculiar.  I hope you can see from the photo attached. Any thoughts? Needless to say they won't be going back in!
[attachimg=1]

Matt
Title: Re: Strange jets on 400/4 carbs
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on October 23, 2022, 05:23:12 PM
I have my original 400 set if you want them f.o.c.just postage?
Title: Re: Strange jets on 400/4 carbs
Post by: Matt_Harrington on October 23, 2022, 06:16:19 PM
I only need 2!!
Matt
Title: Re: Strange jets on 400/4 carbs
Post by: Johnny4428 on October 23, 2022, 08:50:41 PM
Matt these look as if there been tightened against some sort of restriction. Are these the correct ones for your carb?
Title: Re: Strange jets on 400/4 carbs
Post by: Matt_Harrington on October 24, 2022, 09:27:10 AM
Yes, I think they are the correct ones (makered 38) but What I will do later is to measure the bore depth of all of the bores they screw into. It is possible the bores are not all drilled to the same depth (but unlikely!)
Matt
Title: Re: Strange jets on 400/4 carbs
Post by: Bryanj on October 24, 2022, 09:44:52 AM
More likely corroded or full of secret additive
Title: Re: Strange jets on 400/4 carbs
Post by: Matt_Harrington on October 24, 2022, 10:18:07 AM
More likely corroded or full of secret additive
;D I like the idea of a secret additive......
Matt
Title: Re: Strange jets on 400/4 carbs
Post by: Bryanj on October 24, 2022, 10:41:02 AM
Sh1t mate
Title: Re: Strange jets on 400/4 carbs
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on October 24, 2022, 10:55:51 AM
The 4 jets I have posted out are marked 40 as are my spare set of carbs.

Let me know if you need the needles &/oe Emulsion tubes.
Title: Re: Strange jets on 400/4 carbs
Post by: Matt_Harrington on October 24, 2022, 11:36:14 AM
Sh1t mate
;D ;D
Title: Re: Strange jets on 400/4 carbs
Post by: Matt_Harrington on November 02, 2022, 09:41:30 AM
I do despair sometimes at PO meddling! So the carbs I am refurbishing (with the dodgy pair of pilot jets) I now discover that the main jets are all different - 2x75 (one of which is mullered), 1x100 and 1 unmarked (looks to be pattern one) I can only assume this spare set never ran well and hence were sold off..... rant over..
Matt
Title: Re: Strange jets on 400/4 carbs
Post by: Johnny4428 on November 02, 2022, 10:02:30 AM
Jesus Matt! Lucky dip in the main jet box 🤔
Title: Re: Strange jets on 400/4 carbs
Post by: Matt_Harrington on November 02, 2022, 10:13:08 AM
Jesus Matt! Lucky dip in the main jet box 🤔

 ;D I think I'll change that to UNlucky!
Matt
Title: Re: Strange jets on 400/4 carbs
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 02, 2022, 10:15:24 AM
I've PM you I have a set of 75s
Title: Re: Strange jets on 400/4 carbs
Post by: Laverda Dave on November 02, 2022, 02:53:39 PM
I do despair sometimes at PO meddling! So the carbs I am refurbishing (with the dodgy pair of pilot jets) I now discover that the main jets are all different - 2x75 (one of which is mullered), 1x100 and 1 unmarked (looks to be pattern one) I can only assume this spare set never ran well and hence were sold off..... rant over..
Matt

Sounds like the PO may have tried to fit pod filters or a big bore piston kit and gave up when he couldn't get it to run properly. Why would anyone mess about with carb jets unless they were trying serious engine mods?
Title: Re: Strange jets on 400/4 carbs
Post by: Johnny4428 on November 02, 2022, 02:54:32 PM
Jesus Matt! Lucky dip in the main jet box 🤔

 ;D I think I'll change that to UNlucky!
Matt
Sorry! Stand corrected 😂
Title: Re: Strange jets on 400/4 carbs
Post by: Matt_Harrington on November 02, 2022, 02:56:45 PM
I totally agree!  :)
Matt