Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: peterengland on October 30, 2022, 12:06:24 PM

Title: Pilot lights
Post by: peterengland on October 30, 2022, 12:06:24 PM
The pilot bulbs for the high beam and indicators are not very bright like the neutral and oil lights are, is there a trick in removing them as they seem very stiff and I'm worried about breaking them?
Title: Re: Pilot lights
Post by: Oddjob on October 30, 2022, 12:13:48 PM
High beam has a frosted type lens so it doesn't dazzle you when the headlight is on, which makes sense because if you've got main beam on it's bloody dark as a rule. Indicator one should be bright, you need round type bulbs not the tall type which can melt the lens if it starts to touch it.

Just grab and twist, if they break they break, nothing you can do about that, maybe fit them with some silicon grease next time to stop the corrosion which causes this.
Title: Re: Pilot lights
Post by: peterengland on October 30, 2022, 01:17:07 PM
Ok thanks for that do you push down then left?
Title: Re: Pilot lights
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on October 30, 2022, 01:38:47 PM
On my 400 I fitted led units from classicleds I think it is - can't remember who posted but I was advised as to the right colours to use.
Title: Re: Pilot lights
Post by: Oddjob on October 30, 2022, 01:49:05 PM
On my 400 I fitted led units from classicleds I think it is - can't remember who posted but I was advised as to the right colours to use.

That was me, don't use white IIRC, use the colour of the lens.

Yes, push down and twist left.
Title: Re: Pilot lights
Post by: Bryanj on October 30, 2022, 02:46:41 PM
You also need small round bulb type bulbs NOT the long torpedo shaped now found.
They are available as Jag dash bulbs, i have some if you need them but they are 95p each plus postage
Title: Re: Pilot lights
Post by: Moorey on October 31, 2022, 11:43:03 AM

  Anyone with the single turn idiot light. Ba9s 6.3v AC/DC non polarity LEDs are available. These work fine I have them in mine.
Title: Re: Pilot lights
Post by: JezzaPeach on November 01, 2022, 11:38:47 AM
A few years ago i needed the idiot light sub loom as all the rubbers were shot. If anyone needs those I think they came from the US but don’t seem to appear on eBay now so maybe via the US forum. The ones I bought weren’t expensive (then) and worked out well.
Probably these but have gone up in price……
https://z1parts.net/indicator-panel-dash-light-instrument-harness-honda-cb750-cb500/
Title: Re: Pilot lights
Post by: Sesman on November 01, 2022, 06:06:41 PM
Peter,Horton Kent 400 is h the man  for clock rubbers and bulbs.
Title: Re: Pilot lights
Post by: Bryanj on November 01, 2022, 07:52:12 PM
Z1 were the ones and like everything else gone up
Title: Re: Pilot lights
Post by: JezzaPeach on November 02, 2022, 12:11:46 PM
“ Peter,Horton Kent 400 is the man for clock rubbers and bulbs.”
👍 good tip.
Title: Re: Pilot lights
Post by: Johnny4428 on November 02, 2022, 02:59:35 PM
A few years ago i needed the idiot light sub loom as all the rubbers were shot. If anyone needs those I think they came from the US but don’t seem to appear on eBay now so maybe via the US forum. The ones I bought weren’t expensive (then) and worked out well.
Probably these but have gone up in price……
https://z1parts.net/indicator-panel-dash-light-instrument-harness-honda-cb750-cb500/
Got one from these guys last year for the 750. £40-£50 ish. Couldn’t find the receipt.
Title: Re: Pilot lights
Post by: Sesman on November 02, 2022, 03:49:22 PM
TBH clock bulb holder rubbers are circa £6/£7 each, so it’s probably worth replacing the loom.
Title: Re: Pilot lights
Post by: Bryanj on November 02, 2022, 04:34:56 PM
I take that price was with postage and duty?
Title: Re: Pilot lights
Post by: JezzaPeach on November 02, 2022, 05:58:47 PM
Possibly worth getting together and wait until next time someone visits the US?
Title: Re: Pilot lights
Post by: Laverdaroo on November 02, 2022, 06:02:54 PM
I have a  ;) ;)Christmas box ;) ;) coming fom my distant Aunty............Shane,  at the farm. If you want to have it wrapped and sent over in that, at a push, happy to help as long as you don't tell anybody. :)