Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: Cappodimonte on November 05, 2022, 07:41:01 AM

Title: Chrome Plating
Post by: Cappodimonte on November 05, 2022, 07:41:01 AM
Does anyone on this site know of or can recommend any Chrome Plating Companies, I have viewed a few and it seems Chroming any item nowadays means leaving a limb plus money or the feeling you have just bought the place. Living in Oxford and being central means I have all the degrees of the compass to choose from when going anywhere.
Title: Re: Chrome Plating
Post by: Sesman on November 05, 2022, 08:36:47 AM
My experience with Prestige in Mexborough a good one. Others will have their favourites…..
Title: Re: Chrome Plating
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 05, 2022, 09:33:01 AM
I haven't seen it myself but my BiL tells me one of the TV shows featured a new type of spray on chrome finish that looked really good.
Not powder coating - cold  spraying.

My local chromers (Derby Chrome Platers) are good but the lead time is in months and cost is very high - that was December 2021
Title: Re: Chrome Plating
Post by: Oddjob on November 05, 2022, 12:12:59 PM
Prestige is good but lead times are like 6 months.
Title: Re: Chrome Plating
Post by: SPR on November 05, 2022, 01:17:49 PM
It depends on how perfect you want the job v costs .... I've used AG Brigg a couple of times and I would say the result has been excellent for the price ... but not concourse perfect - if that makes sense.

https://www.agbriggchrome.co.uk/contact

Simon

Title: Re: Chrome Plating
Post by: SteveW on November 05, 2022, 01:40:59 PM
What about Philpots in Luton or do they only do forks?
Title: Re: Chrome Plating
Post by: Matt_Harrington on November 05, 2022, 05:12:13 PM
S&T have a good reputation - https://www.stchrome.co.uk/ (https://www.stchrome.co.uk/)
Today they quoted me £110 to do the 400/4 chrome chaingaurd. (I didn't ask on a leadtime, however)
Matt
Title: Re: Chrome Plating
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 05, 2022, 07:04:11 PM
I think this might be what BiL was talking about.

http://www.chromespray.co.uk
Title: Re: Chrome Plating
Post by: philward on November 05, 2022, 07:21:57 PM
I think this might be what BiL was talking about.

http://www.chromespray.co.uk

Would be interesting to see an example quote
Title: Re: Chrome Plating
Post by: AshimotoK0 on November 05, 2022, 07:47:53 PM
I have used about ten chromers over the past ten years, all with very much mixed results, except Prestige. OK, their lead times can stretch to 6 months but  I have had about 2 grands worth of plating done by them over the last two years and not a hitch. Recently my parts have  been back within 3 months.

To give you an idea on price, last month I took a CB250K0 chrome chain-guard to them and they quoted £65 plus VAT  (it's very similar to a 400/4 one). Handlebars are £35+ VAT...... Wheel rims are now  a whopping £180 inc. VAT. irrespective of size  though (ask PaulG !)
Title: Re: Chrome Plating
Post by: Cappodimonte on November 06, 2022, 04:09:28 PM
Cheers chaps I will be making enquiries for my chrome bits.
Title: Re: Chrome Plating
Post by: paul G on November 07, 2022, 12:41:09 PM
I have used Prestige for a number of years now and would recommend them to anyone.
Price wise spot on as well, just watch out for Diane she can be a bit grumpy  ;) ;D
Title: Re: Chrome Plating
Post by: Sesman on November 07, 2022, 01:02:33 PM
Take Dianne some quality street and flowers.👍
Title: Re: Chrome Plating
Post by: paul G on November 07, 2022, 04:08:12 PM
She would only think I was trying to jump the que and give them back  ;)