Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Cappodimonte on November 06, 2022, 01:13:23 PM

Title: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Cappodimonte on November 06, 2022, 01:13:23 PM
The garage is cold, I can’t go any further at this time with the bike, Christmas comets so I scratch built the Station/Tufnell for her nibs Le max Christmas Collection.
My reward will be a sandwich and bag of crisps
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Oddjob on November 06, 2022, 01:21:08 PM
Like that. Does the brickwork come in sheets so you cut it down to size?

Used to have a train set as a lad, loved just sitting there and watching them go around, very relaxing for some reason.
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Cappodimonte on November 06, 2022, 01:45:44 PM
The brickwork is paper sheets cut to size and glued over plywood off cuts that I had in the garage after making a scratch build house for her nibs Pippa Doll collection of both dolls and accessories. We have inherited my late Mother in Laws LeMax collection of houses,diorama, figurines etc. which yours truly will be tasked with wiring up discretely so that lights can be switched on but all wiring and switches hidden from view. Keeps me occupied instead of aimlessly watching TV drinking tea or coffee.
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Johnny4428 on November 06, 2022, 02:43:26 PM
That’s a neat bit of work.
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Laverdaroo on November 06, 2022, 02:48:37 PM
You've not got that on display have you?
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 06, 2022, 02:50:07 PM
A good friend of mine has his model railway in his loft - he builds everything from stations to fair grounds either from kits or scratch built all illuminated - its his winter pastime when its too wet for golf.
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Cappodimonte on November 06, 2022, 04:04:33 PM
Cheers everyone, it will be on display in a diorama once we have all the rest of the LeMax from my late M I L.  Once it’s completed I’ll put another piccy up ( on the Misc/open site ) so that I don’t cop it in the neck from members on the 350/400 site.
I’m always fascinated by people who can make something from nothing, one of the best was an 86 year old chap who scratch built a 3foot long 4-6-2 Steam Locomotive and tender that was able to ferry a grown adult up and down a fifty yard line that he’d scratch built too.
So different from many of today’s youth who if they can’t buy it have no idea how to make it, way back when I was a kid I couldn’t afford it so making it was the only way. I’m sure there’s plenty of us here who were in the same boat.
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Johnny4428 on November 06, 2022, 07:17:12 PM
Cheers everyone, it will be on display in a diorama once we have all the rest of the LeMax from my late M I L.  Once it’s completed I’ll put another piccy up ( on the Misc/open site ) so that I don’t cop it in the neck from members on the 350/400 site.
I’m always fascinated by people who can make something from nothing, one of the best was an 86 year old chap who scratch built a 3foot long 4-6-2 Steam Locomotive and tender that was able to ferry a grown adult up and down a fifty yard line that he’d scratch built too.
So different from many of today’s youth who if they can’t buy it have no idea how to make it, way back when I was a kid I couldn’t afford it so making it was the only way. I’m sure there’s plenty of us here who were in the same boat.

Absolutely! Carts from old prams, sledges from scrap timber and some half round. Phones from tins and string. Stilts from old bed ends, those were the days.
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Laverdaroo on November 06, 2022, 07:28:45 PM
Used to get up before I went to bed, Ricketts, Diptheria....Them were't days........ ;D

Sorry couldnt resist ;D
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Sesman on November 06, 2022, 07:39:28 PM
You where lucky…..sorry.
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Laverdaroo on November 06, 2022, 07:44:49 PM
 ;D ;D
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Laverda Dave on November 06, 2022, 07:55:00 PM
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be😏.

Saying that, I built a model railway when I was 14. I used to get 25p/HR working at Barclays Bank sports ground in the kitchen on a Saturday. On a Monday after school I'd be down the model shop spending my hard earned £1.50 on track. It took me two years to build the layout. I used to buy the Superquick cardboard models to make the stations & platforms.
That's a really nice job Cappodimonte, I think you've now got the bug!
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 06, 2022, 08:02:19 PM
Mastalgia eh - I used to work on ,an Esso petrol pump forecourt every Sunday from 10.00am until 2.00pm for 1s 6p an hour. A gallon of Esso Extra was 19s 8p. I earnt more in tips than wages. It was expected to check oil & water for every customer.

I loved it.
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Nurse Julie on November 06, 2022, 08:16:05 PM
Mastalgia eh - I used to work on ,an Esso petrol pump forecourt every Sunday from 10.00am until 2.00pm for 1s 6p an hour. A gallon of Esso Extra was 19s 8p. I earnt more in tips than wages. It was expected to check oil & water for every customer.

I loved it.
Did you mean to type Mastalgia (Breast pain) Ted, or Nostalgia 😂😂😂😂😂
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Athame57 on November 06, 2022, 08:20:16 PM
Why not do some style Storyville buildings with pinkish figurines?  ;D They closed the place down because they built a railway going past it...and...and...they didn't seem to mix! :o
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Johnny4428 on November 06, 2022, 08:27:47 PM
Used to get up before I went to bed, Ricketts, Diptheria....Them were't days........ ;D

Sorry couldnt resist ;D

🤣🤣🤣 somebody had to do it! You are a scamp!
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 06, 2022, 08:57:43 PM
Mastalgia eh - I used to work on ,an Esso petrol pump forecourt every Sunday from 10.00am until 2.00pm for 1s 6p an hour. A gallon of Esso Extra was 19s 8p. I earnt more in tips than wages. It was expected to check oil & water for every customer.

I loved it.
Did you mean to type Mastalgia (Breast pain) Ted, or Nostalgia 😂😂😂😂😂

I have experienced  breast pain as a side effect from my heart failure medication - I have true empathy with ladies who have sore nipples gawd it hurt just to have a vest on! Change to Epleronone fixed it but I've kept the Moobs. ☹️☹️☹️
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Laverdaroo on November 06, 2022, 09:31:38 PM
I’m never going to be able ‘un-see’ that image now Ted

Meant in a nice way


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Oddjob on November 07, 2022, 12:25:25 AM
I just had a mental image of Ted with engorged nipples and moobs.

I'm now looking for a mental eraser.
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Laverdaroo on November 07, 2022, 12:42:17 AM
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 07, 2022, 04:28:21 AM
I’m never going to be able ‘un-see’ that image now Ted

Meant in a nice way


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roo I see it every morning when I have a shave - I even joked about needing a AAA sized training bra to Wendy.  :-[ :-[ :-[
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Laverdaroo on November 07, 2022, 09:06:20 AM
Bloody hell shes a lucky woman your Wendy, having such an athletic stallion to to fend her dragons away,

Mind you, I did comment to the Long Haired General after I came home from dropping your bike off what great tits you had.  ;) 8)
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: K2-K6 on November 07, 2022, 09:52:58 AM
 ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 07, 2022, 12:38:22 PM
Bloody hell shes a lucky woman your Wendy, having such an athletic stallion to to fend her dragons away,

Mind you, I did comment to the Long Haired General after I came home from dropping your bike off what great tits you had.  ;) 8)

tbh they need waxing to compete with a Ladyboy. ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Laverdaroo on November 07, 2022, 01:03:51 PM
Thats worse than the first menta image Ted ;D ;D
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Bryanj on November 07, 2022, 01:26:40 PM
Look you two unless you have visited Boogy Street in Singapore you have no idea!
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Laverdaroo on November 07, 2022, 01:33:32 PM
Begs the question Bryan, why were you in Boogy Street in Singapore? ;)


Cheeky ;D
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Athame57 on November 07, 2022, 03:15:51 PM
When I went to BUGIS street, I felt bored, it was a bit of a drag! ;)
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Laverdaroo on November 07, 2022, 03:17:25 PM
Bub bum, tish! ;) ;D
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Sesman on November 07, 2022, 03:31:11 PM
Saw,this and thought of you: “ I lost £70,000 because a rogue tenant filled my house with rotting trout’”.
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Laverdaroo on November 07, 2022, 04:04:46 PM
OOOsh, the smell of rotting trout, thats a smell you dont want to encounter too many times in your life.............if at all.

Its that bad you can see it ;D, nasty in the extreme ;D
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Bryanj on November 07, 2022, 04:55:32 PM
Merchant navy mate, we drank free all night after selling off the "virgin" engine room apprentice! He thought he was onto a good thing for a while
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Johnny4428 on November 07, 2022, 04:58:17 PM
Merchant navy mate, we drank free all night after selling off the "virgin" engine room apprentice! He thought he was onto a good thing for a while
😳😳😳
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Cappodimonte on December 14, 2022, 08:07:21 AM
Well it’s been a little while but leading up to Christmas and buying pressies sending cards along with general goodwill to all, the inevitable upset has occurred, our old faithful Seat Toledo was being driven by me for it’s MOT, just coming out of the 40 limit and beginning to accelerate when ‘Bang’ engine onto 3 cylinders with coasting into nearby side road. Looked under bonnet and black oil everywhere. Towed her home and removed sump which had hole in it front and rear to find No.3 conrod snapped an inch below the gudgeon pin and Conrod looking like an S. Being 2003 she is scrap only, had to fork out for another car which at this time of year me and everyone gets an orange and nothing else. Happy Christmas to all, enjoy the festivities. I have included piccys of damage  The 400/4 rebuild is on back burner at the moment
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on December 14, 2022, 10:20:09 AM
What a bummer - it's a bit academic now but what do you think caused the conrod to snap? - be surprised if it's metal fatigue / failure of the rod itself - seized piston perhaps - only seen broken conrods in cars due to hydraulic failure by driving through flood water - water in the cylinder head generally.
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Cappodimonte on December 14, 2022, 11:37:01 AM
In all my years of motoring this is the first catastrophic failure of a Conrod I’ve ever had, our old girl had covered 180,000 miles with all original running gear, regularly serviced by me at 10,000 mile intervals with Synthetic 10/40 oil along with filters.
Complete piston is up in the bore along with the portion of conrod which snapped about an inch below the small end. If I’d ragged the old girl then I’d expect retribution but she’s always been treated properly. Just pure bad luck which I will have to suck up.
The replacement is. 2010 Kia Picanto with 23,000 genuine miles but as I only need a small car it’ll do me fine.
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: Sesman on December 14, 2022, 12:16:07 PM
Sorry to hear about that. It’s a bummer. Happened to me in 1984 just outside Derby in Vauhall Astra. The rod broke just as I lifted off the throttle on final approach to a petrol station following hard acceleration from the traffic lights. I coasted into the  garage and parked by the pump. I became a minor celebrity when the pool of oil was observed under the car; all wondered how on earth I’d driven it to the garage😁 Car had done 10thousand hard rental miles.
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on December 14, 2022, 12:19:42 PM
In 47 years and well over 800,000 miles of motoring I like you have never had a catastrophic failure of an engine - worst ever incident was a snapped oil pump drive on an 850 Mini back in the 1960's.

Like yourself I've always used the best oil available at the time with regular changes of engine oil & filter.
Title: Re: Bored,Raining, Another side to my abilities
Post by: taysidedragon on December 14, 2022, 02:16:30 PM
My old 67 VW Beetle went onto 3 cylinders coming home from work after a night shift. I was passing British Airways engineering at Heathrow on the perimeter road, so I kept going the short distance to get home.
When I investigated the problem there was no compression on one cylinder and I could see the piston wasn't moving. On further investigation the piston had cracked right across just above the gudgeon pin and the piston crown was sitting at the top of the bore. The rest of the piston was still attached to the conrod and happily going up and down without doing any damage.
It was a lucky escape, the valves were fine, nothing bent. I put a new set of pistons and rings in it and the engine ran well for several years afterwards,  still going strong when I sold it.