Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 16, 2022, 11:57:04 AM

Title: How to assemble rear dampers after dismantling & cleaning ?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 16, 2022, 11:57:04 AM
It was relatively easy to dismantle the dampers with my assistant Marco pressing down on the outer shroud whilst I flirted out the retaining collars.

Assembly looks a tad harder - will I need to use a spring clamp to assemble them again or is there a trick to it ?

Title: Re: How to assemble rear dampers after dismantling & cleaning ?
Post by: Oddjob on November 16, 2022, 12:28:16 PM
PaulG used a very neat looking damper compressor on his Sloper restoration, TBH it looks home made but it looks and probably performs extremely well. Picture of it on reply 45 on his project thread.
Title: Re: How to assemble rear dampers after dismantling & cleaning ?
Post by: paul G on November 16, 2022, 04:07:43 PM
PaulG used a very neat looking damper compressor on his Sloper restoration, TBH it looks home made but it looks and probably performs extremely well. Picture of it on reply 45 on his project thread.
It's been made even better than the 1st picture.
I'll take another tonight I stripped them before it was finished as I wanted to get the chrome covers on the shocks to the platers.
Title: Re: How to assemble rear dampers after dismantling & cleaning ?
Post by: Oddjob on November 16, 2022, 04:10:14 PM
Fair play Paul, it's a nice little tool you knocked up there.
Title: Re: How to assemble rear dampers after dismantling & cleaning ?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 16, 2022, 04:27:54 PM
I'll get my Nephew Marco to bring his spring compressor when he is passing - not going to risk taking an eye out to do it without.

Typical I gave my car spring compressor away when I stopped doing my own suspension repairs.
Title: Re: How to assemble rear dampers after dismantling & cleaning ?
Post by: Bryanj on November 16, 2022, 04:38:16 PM
The car ones are too big for the honda dampers Ted
Title: Re: How to assemble rear dampers after dismantling & cleaning ?
Post by: paul G on November 17, 2022, 07:55:46 AM
Finished item  :)
Title: Re: How to assemble rear dampers after dismantling & cleaning ?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on November 17, 2022, 12:00:54 PM
This is my cheap and cheerful one made literally from scrap lying around .. about 5 years ago. (no  machining whatsoever involved...I didn't even chop the M8 stud with a hacksaw) Must have done about 30 sets of shocks successfully with it . OK ..should have used M10 stud not M8 .. answer : didn't have any to hand and I am a Yorkshireman. Missing is a bit of ally extrusion that stabilises the bottom fork to stop everything slipping out. Mock it all you like but it does the job  ;D

Title: Re: How to assemble rear dampers after dismantling & cleaning ?
Post by: Laverdaroo on November 17, 2022, 12:12:38 PM
Looks perfect to me Ash, and i fit works....it works! ;)


What is the name of that flux you send me a while ago when I was doing those cois, its great stuff? Nearly used it all up and would like some more of that it's probably the easiest to use flux I've had in the workshop. Would you know what make it is or should I assume it's RS? ;) :)

Hope all's good at your end Ash,best regards n all that.........
Title: Re: How to assemble rear dampers after dismantling & cleaning ?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on November 17, 2022, 12:36:25 PM
Looks perfect to me Ash, and i fit works....it works! ;)


What is the name of that flux you send me a while ago when I was doing those cois, its great stuff? Nearly used it all up and would like some more of that it's probably the easiest to use flux I've had in the workshop. Would you know what make it is or should I assume it's RS? ;) :)

Hope all's good at your end Ash,best regards n all that.........

Yea, all is good thanks ...Was it the brown paste type flux  or the golden liquid stuff Roo?
Title: Re: How to assemble rear dampers after dismantling & cleaning ?
Post by: robvangulik on November 17, 2022, 01:16:14 PM
I made this contraption some 40 years ago, also cheap and cheerful, not very elegant but still works fast and easy!
Title: Re: How to assemble rear dampers after dismantling & cleaning ?
Post by: Oddjob on November 17, 2022, 01:41:17 PM
I don't think I'd have mounted it on a blue bin Rob, doesn't look sturdy enough  ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: How to assemble rear dampers after dismantling & cleaning ?
Post by: Laverdaroo on November 17, 2022, 04:44:24 PM
I'll bob a piccy up by its quite unny and dead sticky, ace stuff. I'm in the shed in a bit and sort I'll sort it. Cheers.
Title: Re: How to assemble rear dampers after dismantling & cleaning ?
Post by: Laverdaroo on November 18, 2022, 10:47:29 AM
Here you go Ash, my last bit(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221118/5c6fe40e55afcefa7b0ce8575df4b501.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk