Honda-SOHC

General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: Spanner McFettler on January 03, 2023, 01:23:27 PM

Title: Hello!
Post by: Spanner McFettler on January 03, 2023, 01:23:27 PM
Hello everyone!

I wish I had joined this forum before I restored my CB750 last year! She's a 1977 US K7 and I did a full strip down nut and bolt resto. No real experience in mechanics or bikes other than I previously renovated a 1980 GL1100  which I still have and is a good solid dependable bike. The CB750 whilst a K7 has been rebuilt using some parts from the earlier K series so I'm calling it a CB750 K6.5, it might upset the purists with its non standard look and paint scheme but I like it and that all that matters.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]
Title: Re: Hello!
Post by: K2-K6 on January 03, 2023, 01:32:12 PM
Welcome to the forum and nice restoration there too. I think it looks much better in that colour than original  :) and makes much better representation of the tank shape as well.

Title: Re: Hello!
Post by: Spanner McFettler on January 03, 2023, 01:37:21 PM
Cheers, You cant see the stripe in the first picture so this is from above. My GL1100 is her big sister!

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]
Title: Re: Hello!
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on January 03, 2023, 01:37:44 PM
Welcome and yes bike looks good!

Loving the user name too!
Title: Re: Hello!
Post by: Johnny4428 on January 03, 2023, 01:42:15 PM
Hi Spanner, and welcome to forum, you’ve definately made a nice bike out of your K7. Personally I love the colour, although don’t like what you’ve done with the earlier decals. But I don’t like Marmite either. 😂😂😂
Title: Re: Hello!
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 03, 2023, 01:49:22 PM
Welcome to the forum.
Title: Re: Hello!
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on January 03, 2023, 02:34:03 PM
Welcome to the Forum - your bike looks great btw I love the colour but I'm well known here for my lack of taste when it comes to colour schemes.

Photo below to prove my point sadly I was talked out of painting the frame of my current project a CB500 K 0.5 in Nut Brown so went for boring black.


(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52046157262_d5c9c48b2c_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2ni9ai1)Teds CB400 (https://flic.kr/p/2ni9ai1) by Macabe Thiele (https://www.flickr.com/photos/187487200@N03/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Hello!
Post by: Spanner McFettler on January 03, 2023, 03:09:33 PM
I actually really like that blue on blue! My CB is Honda Candy Gold so at least its an authentic colour scheme but I wanted something a little different and it seemed pointless going for an original colour when other parts of the bike don't match a K7. For instance, the Chrome headlight 'ears' are pre-K7 as are the indicators which come out of the 'ears' rather than lower down adjacent to the front Honda logo. Rubber gaiters I don't think were on a K7 but I like the look so why not I thought. Its tricky trying to restore a bike that is a US import and not UK standard but I think its worked out quite well.
Title: Re: Hello!
Post by: Oddjob on January 03, 2023, 03:16:58 PM
Got to say that looks good. Sometimes you can nick something off another Honda and it just works better than the original design.

I remember doing loads of those GL1100s, same colour as well, they were all having the back end done with topbox and panniers IIRC, I remember you had to cut off the indicator mounts, which were flat not tubular. As the rear indicators were in the topbox IIRC the indicators were removed, I had hundreds of them in a box at one time, when I left the trade I just took a couple and I only threw them away last year because the chrome had bubbled in storage, should have sold them while I had the chance.
Title: Re: Hello!
Post by: Laverdaroo on January 03, 2023, 07:10:38 PM
Hi and welcome tp the forum, it's a great place and everybody likes achallenge so ask as many questions as you need,nobody will mind.

Loving the colour of your 750, the decals are pretty neat but beauty is in the eye of the beholder although I think they're spot on. As long as you like them thats all that matters

Wicked colour 8)


PS dont mention Brown to Ted, you'll set him off ::) ;) ;D
Title: Re: Hello!
Post by: philward on January 03, 2023, 08:06:31 PM
Welcome to the forum spanner - nice bikes!
Title: Re: Hello!
Post by: Moorey on January 03, 2023, 08:16:38 PM
Welcome to the forum and have fun.
Title: Re: Hello!
Post by: Matt_Harrington on January 04, 2023, 09:16:04 AM
Welcome. Love the 750 paint job....
Title: Re: Hello!
Post by: Laverda Dave on January 04, 2023, 02:14:49 PM
Welcome to the forum. I think the paint job is ace, well done.
Title: Re: Hello!
Post by: Seabeowner on January 04, 2023, 07:09:24 PM
Looks great, much better. By 1977 Honda were tiring of the 750 and I think they put the B team on the designs. Welcome to the forum.