Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on January 09, 2023, 05:23:53 PM

Title: 500 aftermarket wheel rim options
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on January 09, 2023, 05:23:53 PM
I spent some time today day dreaming about what rims I would eventually fit on the 500 whilst cleaning off  rust on my front wheel rim.
 
I might eventually  go for anodised alloy again or even Stainless rims,  I came across the term "Valanced" & Non-Valanced rims.

Am I right in thinking the original rims were non-valanced anyone here put Valanced rims on an old Honda what is the advantage if any on an old bike?
Title: Re: 500 aftermarket wheel rim options
Post by: Bryanj on January 09, 2023, 05:40:50 PM
Non, dirt traps mate but Akront was the name in alloys and they used to ball vallenced
Title: Re: 500 aftermarket wheel rim options
Post by: K2-K6 on January 09, 2023, 06:45:07 PM
They are of that period Ted, and more often used in racing so not out of place in that respect. That's the valanced rim in aluminium.

Their advantage then was effectively an I-beam (think rsj) in rolled aluminium section (rolling gives a forged (aligns the metal grain within the piece*) type structure to the metalwork) subsequently again rolled into the rim circle. This can be the lightest and strongest rim for a spoked wheel and combined with lightweight race tires would offer one of the best race wheels with conventional spokes.

* ooh look, double parentheses  ;D

I think they look good, but quite a particular choice and maybe suggest more of a production racer vibe.

Stainless i think look good too, and aluminium non valanced are available. 
Title: Re: 500 aftermarket wheel rim options
Post by: K2-K6 on January 09, 2023, 07:01:04 PM
These show some options Ted http://www.williswheels.co.uk/rim-selection.html even have a nut brown sample I can see  ;D obviously some chaps of distinction in choice terms  ;D
Title: Re: 500 aftermarket wheel rim options
Post by: Laverdaroo on January 10, 2023, 02:57:23 PM
Ted, the new rims I remortgaged for to put I. The 550 are balanced, almost like an ‘H’shape.

They look the dang lies though and are much better to the eye than the standards……..


See, had some boots put in yesterday and hurriedly bobbed the front on to have a look see……….. we’ll chuffed!(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230110/22e1d253b48aee87b28783045d6fb9de.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: 500 aftermarket wheel rim options
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on January 10, 2023, 03:00:25 PM
What make & width rims are they Roo?

Are they classed as valanced?
Title: Re: 500 aftermarket wheel rim options
Post by: Laverdaroo on January 10, 2023, 06:12:15 PM
they came from central wheels in birmingjham Ted, 18" rear 10" front both 2.15

Avon roadrideres are rhe boots/ With stainlessspokes it was rather expensive but I'll get that dosh backif I flog it.......which is highly likely.
Title: Re: 500 aftermarket wheel rim options
Post by: Laverdaroo on January 10, 2023, 06:19:56 PM
Forgot, they are EXCEL VALANCED, FLANGED alloy rims  and not 2.15! Front is a 1.85 the rear a 2.15
Title: Re: 500 aftermarket wheel rim options
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on January 10, 2023, 08:35:06 PM
Forgot, they are EXCEL VALANCED, FLANGED alloy rims  and not 2.15! Front is a 1.85 the rear a 2.15

C.W.C. have those - well tidy - daren't mention the cost to SWMBO.
Title: Re: 500 aftermarket wheel rim options
Post by: philward on January 10, 2023, 10:19:47 PM
Few years since I bought the alloys on my CR750 Rep but used Italian Borrani replica's  - off ebay, possibly
from this source (not necessarily the size you need but maybe source via this seller)

eBay item number:354042531344
Title: Re: 500 aftermarket wheel rim options
Post by: SPR on January 11, 2023, 05:10:47 AM
Forgot, they are EXCEL VALANCED, FLANGED alloy rims  and not 2.15! Front is a 1.85 the rear a 2.15

C.W.C. have those - well tidy - daren't mention the cost to SWMBO.

The rims on the Laverda are flanged .... they look absolutely stunning
Title: Re: 500 aftermarket wheel rim options
Post by: ka-ja on January 11, 2023, 02:56:13 PM
flanged alloy front rim with st/steel spokes
   [attachimg=1]
Title: Re: 500 aftermarket wheel rim options
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on January 11, 2023, 04:34:14 PM
So is Flanged essentially the same as Valanced - they look a tad caresque if that's a word but neat all the same.
Title: Re: 500 aftermarket wheel rim options
Post by: Sesman on January 11, 2023, 07:03:55 PM
Ted, the new rims I remortgaged for to put I. The 550 are balanced, almost like an ‘H’shape.

They look the dang lies though and are much better to the eye than the standards……..


See, had some boots put in yesterday and hurriedly bobbed the front on to have a look see……….. we’ll chuffed!(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230110/22e1d253b48aee87b28783045d6fb9de.jpg)

Hell yeah. Absolutely sweating class those wheels. I like them, I like them a lot.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: 500 aftermarket wheel rim options
Post by: Laverdaroo on January 11, 2023, 08:41:01 PM
The knackers are'nt they Phil 8)

I'll post yer thingy this week, just havent had a chance bud, sozza.