Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Orcade-Ian on January 15, 2023, 04:05:33 PM
-
We've had a bit of wet snow today but I was quite happy to stay in the workshop. I recently bought a pair of thickly padded overalls from our agricultural supply place (B.F. - Johnny) - for £28.80 they are fabulous, I paid more than that for a shirt! They need about 5 inches lopping off the legs and are very roomy. I wouldn't like to meet the chap who they fit well, especially down a dark alley.
Anyway, with carbs still off the bike I painted the top of the cases with silver smoothrite aerosol and zinc plated quite a few screws, brackets and bolts. Engine is still in - I'm only tidying and doing things piecemeal, which probably takes longer! Sprocket cover, clutch cover and alternator casing all came up well and new Honda badge, courtesy of Phil now fitted. New clips from Myles Kingsport in Hull.
[attach=1]
[attach=2]
[attach=3]
[attach=4]
The downpipes are cleaning up well - a few small pits on the insides of the bends but it means I won't mind using the bike. Still no silencer and struggling to find bending rolls so far.
I'm on with the clocks too, new face on the speedo and just waiting for the outer case paint to harden off for re-assembly - rev counter next!
[attach=5]
Ian
-
Lovely work Ian and coming on a treat, I'm up to my neck in it too and really enjoying the fiddling. Keep it up mate, looks fantastic ;) :D
-
Thanks Roo,
It's been a really enjoyable job so far - nothing butchered and only a few parts needing replacement - far less than some of the other projects I've tackled. In a bit of down time I tried my spoke spanner on the wheels after applying a bit of ACF 50 last week and everyone came 1/4 turn loose (tyres still on and wheels still in!). So I will eventually strip, re-plate spokes and nipples and polish hubs but not re-chroming or replacing rims - they're OK. Fork legs to do as well!
Ian
-
Nice work Ian (wouldn’t expect anything else from you). Shaping up to be a nice summer ride. I had one of these boiler suits for years, until I set the leg on fire whilst cutting and grinding, annoying as my leg was in it at the time.😡 I seem to recall it was also long on the leg too. All made for 7 footers.😂