Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Multiman on February 03, 2023, 07:35:29 PM
-
Hi,
The wiring on my bike is pretty horrible.
Apart from the correct connectors the PO has used chocolate block connectors, blue scotchlock connectors and some very non Honda bullets.
There are extra bits here and there, so having thought about it I have taken the plunge and bought a new loom from DSS.
So the first question is...
PO has replaced the rectifier at some stage and it doesn't have the same cable colours as the original.
Also he's cut off the 6 way connector off the loom and added some non stand bullets to connect loom to rectifier.
The new loom comes with a (5 populated) 6way connector. Green Yellow Yellow Yellow and Red (wiring diagram says red/white but whatever)
I can't find a source of the correct opposite (male) connector, but the bike came with some boxes of bits and guess what I found, yes indeed, a compatible 6 way male connector.
I've just ordered some 6.3mm male spades so all should be good.
Still awake?
The rectifier wiring colours are Black White White White Red.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter which Yellow on the loom goes to which White on the rectifier but could someone confirm please?
Many thanks for your expertise and perseverance!
Apologies for the ridiculously long winded question!
-
Too late for you now but I avoided the DS loom for my 400 as some of the wires are not the same colour as the original.
.https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/
.
I bought one from here in 2020 all colours as original & at the time it was a tad cheaper they do 500 ones as well.
Cant help with your colour question about the rectifier with certainty - but I think you are right.
Cojycat do pretty much all the connectors including the multi block connectors.
.https://kojaycat.co.uk/
-
Correct on the colour wiring question, any yellow to any white is fine. Black is almost certainly green and of course red to red sounds correct.
Didn't know Electrex did looms Ted, I'll have a look at them although my old 550 loom is in good nick I've sourced a NOS 550 loom instead.
-
Thanks guys.
All useful information.
Onwards and upwards
-
Another question.
The new wiring loom has a plastic "sock" for the rear connectors to the brake light and indicators.
Is this "sock" supposed to locate up through the rear frame above the rear mudguard? Anyone got a picture?
My old loom didn't have one.
Many thanks
-
Do you mean this one?
.(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52670677763_f367020fca_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2ofjZtR)rear lower loom (https://flic.kr/p/2ofjZtR) by Macabe Thiele (https://www.flickr.com/photos/187487200@N03/), on Flickr
-
Thanks for three-ply Ted but no it's the "sock" or boot that contains the connectors for the rear light, brake light etc
Your bike looks a real beauty!
-
If it's not this one the other one sits under the seat iirc just reaches the plastic section of the rear mudguard.
Again not my bike - it's what I used when fitting my loom.
(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52670690423_712a231e22_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2ofk4f8)this one (https://flic.kr/p/2ofk4f8) by Macabe Thiele (https://www.flickr.com/photos/187487200@N03/), on Flickr
-
Cheers Ted.
Thanks for that.
I was really trying to work out how far to pull the loom back as the brake light wiring has been cut too short by the PO.
I'll have to rewire the light cluster.
-
Hi all
I've fitted the loom and have come across a problem that I don't know how to fix.
If I turn the ignition on and set the light switch to P or H I don't get a front parking light, a tail light or Speedo and Tacho lights.
Headlight works as expected and I can get a parking light and tail light when the ignition key is turned past the on position to P.
Anyone come across this before?
Would I be right in thinking I need to make up the lead indicated below?
Its on some diagrams and not others.
Many thanks
Tim
-
PS And if Ido need to fit this where on the loom/wiring are the connectors?
Many thanks in advance.
Tim
-
Difficult to diagnose elctrical issues remotely but............. did the lights all work as they should before you fitted the new loom thus eliminating a switch problem?
Have you changed the fuse box - I would ould check the fuse box & fuses for continuity.
I fitted the DS cheaper fuse box & had to re=solder a dry joint on the back.
-
Hi Ted
yes everything worked ok before fitting the loom.
I've checked thew fuse box and all three fuses are ok and get power, its not been changed.
-
Have you checked the terminals at the back of the fuse box you can have a live feed & on the output side but are the wires at the back of the box where they are soldered on making a connection? I would then check the feed from the fuse box to the switch following the colours on the circuit diagram along the loom.
-
Hi Ted
I haven't changed the fusebox and from what I have tested it's getting power and passing it on correctly the query I have is about should I make up the connection I pointed out in the wiring diagram.
I think I'll call it a day for now and resume in the morning after sleeping on it.
Thanks for your input as always
Cheers
Tim
-
That looks to be the wrong wiring diagram, there doesn't seem to be any connections for the lighting on the right hand switch, just stop/run and starter button. Check the wiring coming from the right hand switch, there should be a brown/white, make sure that's connected to the brown/white on the loom as that's the side light wiring.
The wire you think you need looks to be the one way solenoid for the starter circuit so it works when the bikes in gear and the clutch is pulled in.
-
I'm not that brilliant with electrics, but the wiring diagram pic. you have used shows a twin filament bulb for the direction indicators. This was a requirement for the North American market which also meant that there was no light switch, the lights being operational all the time the engine was running.
-
The handlebar switchgear is the same as used on the cb550f and the cb550k3 iirc, try using that wiring diagram as a start but fairly sure you’ve missed connecting the brown/white wire in the box near the coils.
-
Below is the coloured wiring diagram I used for my UK bike - sorry not sure which wires are a different colour on the DS loom but others here will know. Pretty sure I downloaded it from Aladdin's Cave here.
IIRC I printed the document off so it was a full A4 sheet so easier to follow the wiring diagram - my clutch switch was missing so was able to fit one using this diagram - as my left hand bar switch did not have the headlamp flasher only the horn wiring differed it was as per the US wiring for the horn.
-
Big thank you for all the input.
The wiring diagram I was using is out of the 350/400 workshop manual but as you say has some obvious discrepancies, but as it was in the book I thought the rest of it would be accurate.
Anyway the colour diagram Ted has attached is so much is so easier to follow and presumably correct!
To cut a long story short the fuse was intermittent, I've never known a fuse to partially work, 40ohms. So when when tested continuity was there until a load was put on it.
The simplest things etc etc.
Ted was there all along.
Many thanks for putting up with my rambling and I. now understand a lot more about the lighting circuits!
Cheers
Tim
-
I suspect old fuses can cause all sorts of issues especially glass ones - on the old merc W124's that were fitted with the small pot type fuses with a metal overlay the fuse holders would wear a round hole in the metal contact point. The fuse would work under light loads and stop under wiper load - in the fuse box they would look perfect - only on removing them did you find the fault.
-
Another question.
The new wiring loom has a plastic "sock" for the rear connectors to the brake light and indicators.
Is this "sock" supposed to locate up through the rear frame above the rear mudguard? Anyone got a picture?
My old loom didn't have one.
Many thanks
Here's a pic that might help
-
Cheers for that
Confirms what I ended up doing
Many thanks