Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on February 07, 2023, 12:13:35 PM

Title: Does this need replacing oval mounting holes?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on February 07, 2023, 12:13:35 PM
Whilst starting to clean up the front brakes I noticed the top calliper pivot arm bracket had visibly oval mounting holes - one is much worse than the other.
The ovality is visible from the rear as well.
The long pivot pin was nice & free - could this have been caused by this having been stuck previously?
Will it need replacing if they are available?

.(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52673994837_2b59088849_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2ofBZwM)top bracket (https://flic.kr/p/2ofBZwM) by Macabe Thiele (https://www.flickr.com/photos/187487200@N03/), on Flickr

Title: Re: Does this need replacing oval mounting holes?
Post by: taysidedragon on February 07, 2023, 05:49:44 PM
As long as the brake pivot pin hasn't got any play in it you'll be fine. The mounting holes give you a bit of adjustment to line it up and won't move once everything is tightened up. 👍
Title: Re: Does this need replacing oval mounting holes?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on February 07, 2023, 07:13:21 PM
I did wonder if the torque on the bolt would hold it nicely in place.

Was the pivot arm originally painted or polished alloy?
Title: Re: Does this need replacing oval mounting holes?
Post by: Oddjob on February 07, 2023, 07:15:55 PM
Painted, like the casings Ted.
Title: Re: Does this need replacing oval mounting holes?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on February 08, 2023, 11:39:12 AM
My existing calliper arm is polished - its cleaned up quite quickly on my buffing wheel (not to Kens standard)- I think I prefer it painted as on my 400 so good to hear they were painted originally.
Title: Re: Does this need replacing oval mounting holes?
Post by: Sesman on February 08, 2023, 12:00:32 PM
Painted black Ted…..not nut brown😁
Title: Re: Does this need replacing oval mounting holes?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on February 08, 2023, 12:30:38 PM
Have you seen that 500 link I posted today Phil ?
It's on the Hi from Essex thread I might be a tad colour blind but sure the bodywork is Brown.😁😁😁
Title: Re: Does this need replacing oval mounting holes?
Post by: Sesman on February 08, 2023, 03:17:13 PM
Ha, ha. Just been for a peak. Not my cup of tea as they say..😁

How’s the bike coming along. The recent photos show some promise.
Title: Re: Does this need replacing oval mounting holes?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on February 08, 2023, 04:50:08 PM
Hi Phil I'm currently putting the front suspension together but tbh the cold weather slows me down. Once I have fitted the brakes, mudguard & wheel back in I need to turn the bike round on the stand plus turn the bike stand round as well. This is to make fitting the engine easier later in the year.
I need to remove the tank badges etc to get the bodywork off to the painter by the middle of this month.
 
I need much warmer weather then to start on the engine/gearbox internals - I do not want to bit & bob on the engine like I can with frame stuff over the winter.
Title: Re: Does this need replacing oval mounting holes?
Post by: Sesman on February 08, 2023, 05:33:07 PM
OOI, how do you intend to paint the caliper? I ask simply as the HT paint I used cracked on assembly. I tried and failed a couple of times. In the end I etch primed, mist coated then two top coats, cured in the oven and hey presto it worked.

I was wondering if others had a fail safe solution?
Title: Re: Does this need replacing oval mounting holes?
Post by: Oddjob on February 08, 2023, 05:41:10 PM
I'll most likely powder coat mine Phil or may go for ceramic coated instead.
Title: Re: Does this need replacing oval mounting holes?
Post by: peterengland on February 08, 2023, 06:09:10 PM
I just rattle canned mine and it's been fine ever since!
Title: Re: Does this need replacing oval mounting holes?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on February 08, 2023, 07:34:04 PM
Painting in February not sensible due to garage temperature.