Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: lordwhimsey on July 07, 2010, 07:38:33 PM
-
Can anyone tell me how long this rear axle spacer should be on a CB550F?
(http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac149/lordwhimsey/axlecopy.jpg)
I've only got one from a K and I think it's a bit too long! I can't one for an F anywhere so I'm going to shorten the one I've got.
-
I cant tell you the length but i seem to remember the difference is between the swing arm with removable ends and the closed end type
-
Thank Bryan. Before I got my calipers out I heard from someone over on the US forum. It's 37.75mm which is the same width as the brake side spacer on the K. I've got one of these so I've used it rather than shortening the left side one.
(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4115/4773651247_b69c2f69ed.jpg)
-
That TT100 rear tyre looks undersize...looks like a 4.10x18 when ideally you want to have a 4.25/85x18.
-
That TT100 rear tyre looks undersize...looks like a 4.10x18 when ideally you want to have a 4.25/85x18.
Well spotted; I'll get a 4.25/85x18 when this one wears out... if it wears out before I die of old age!
-
That TT100 rear tyre looks undersize...looks like a 4.10x18 when ideally you want to have a 4.25/85x18.
Would that not depend on the rim size? I'm not sure what rim your using. If its a 1.85 surely your on the limit with a 400? I'm obsessed with tire sizes.
Correct me if im wrong but standard rims for 550 or 500's were 1.85 or wm2 front and back. Thats very narrow! wm3 is 2.15 and can take a 400 + tyre. Maximum size you can fit on a 1.85 rim is about 360 or 100x90. 550's originally came with a 375 rear, 500's 350. Am I missing something?
Thanks
Apologies for being off topic.
-
We all used 4.25/85 in the 70's coz we were obsessed with tyre widths too!
The bigger the better! (we were young...)
-
That TT100 rear tyre looks undersize...looks like a 4.10x18 when ideally you want to have a 4.25/85x18.
Would that not depend on the rim size? I'm not sure what rim your using. If its a 1.85 surely your on the limit with a 400? I'm obsessed with tire sizes.
Correct me if im wrong but standard rims for 550 or 500's were 1.85 or wm2 front and back. Thats very narrow! wm3 is 2.15 and can take a 400 + tyre. Maximum size you can fit on a 1.85 rim is about 360 or 100x90. 550's originally came with a 375 rear, 500's 350. Am I missing something?
Thanks
Apologies for being off topic.
Good question and one I asked Dunlop before I bought the TT100s. Their reply was:
Hi Han
These are the permitted rim widths for each of our TT100s:
4.10 H18 1.85, 2.15, 2.50
4.25/85 H18 2.15, 2.50, 2.75
3.60 H19 1.85, 2.15.
4.10 H19 1.85, 2.15, 2.50.
Kind regards
Bryn Phillips
Sales & Product Support Manager, Motorcycle
Dunlop Tyres UK Ltd
The rim I've got fitted is a 2.15 from a CB750 but when I bought the tyres I had a 1.85 rim which turned out to be buckled beyond repair! If I'd had the wider rim then I would have gone for a 4.25/85 ;D
-
Yeah thats a good conversion, the wider rim. Never understood why the 550's came with wm2's. Had a 17/250 with a 130/80 on the bike originally, it handled really well with that combo. I think ill go for a 400 on the back next time the 110/90 roadrunner is too wide and gets pushed out of shape.
Thanks for the info.