Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Scottish Badger on March 21, 2023, 10:59:09 AM

Title: CB400/4, bracketry under fuel tank
Post by: Scottish Badger on March 21, 2023, 10:59:09 AM
Hi folks, on to my next puzzle of "how the previous owner didn't put things together correctly...."

Can anyone help with photos of how the wiring harness is secured and properly routed on the nearside of the frame above the engine, and how the clutch cable is routed and any support brackets etc on the offside?

Thanks.
Title: Re: CB400/4, bracketry under fuel tank
Post by: Multiman on March 21, 2023, 11:25:44 AM
If you go to ash’s drop box and download the 350/400 manual on page 110 there are some good diagrams if the router of harness and cables
Title: Re: CB400/4, bracketry under fuel tank
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on March 21, 2023, 12:01:52 PM
I used this one from here somewhere I think.[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: CB400/4, bracketry under fuel tank
Post by: Scottish Badger on March 21, 2023, 01:11:01 PM
Hi Ted, yeah I was looking at those ones earlier. Do you know if the clutch cable guide is attached to one of the rocker cover breather cover bolts?  Looks like I'm missing the cable "holder" that goes over the nearside tank mount spigot....
Title: Re: CB400/4, bracketry under fuel tank
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on March 21, 2023, 01:21:58 PM
Yes my harness guide & clutch cable guide were missing as well, wiring guide I bought from DS never did find a clutch cable bracket - hard to find - I did have a home made one from a member but it never really fitted properly. I currently use a cable tie with the plastic ring insert for the bracket.

Just found a repro bracket in SS comes with the center heat guide.

.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144768757606?hash=item21b4e3ef66:g:v~oAAOSwKlRjSug7&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAwDW2POL3%2FNRUIKn9kUCDcGh8nA7m121XrGMZX%2BFBPbHD1vCuYXb%2FpNFLxd95oJjnKU%2BFjReUwnQLkgcgKehl5yaKbxcM0aXa0l914yrBRxuB1xHoNXXnu6zsQnzLnkMDwpXWZ8gZICHxRI3P5z%2FpO5bCxyWsrSQ3cqllndzn%2FW9CbAnwPeq%2BA%2F6D9S%2FGk5Pc8PTzcfD2WYwWn3nkHlL8Xir0ABQJoBGSTIT%2B40GaYjVIf3BdyJ9DZCZH%2Fy4cJATYGA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_SCgMbgYQ
Title: Re: CB400/4, bracketry under fuel tank
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on March 21, 2023, 03:45:50 PM
Photo from a previous members  post of clutch cable guide in position.

.(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52762574438_3d037c474b_o.png) (https://flic.kr/p/2oorZah)Picture2 (https://flic.kr/p/2oorZah) by Macabe Thiele (https://www.flickr.com/photos/187487200@N03/), on Flickr
Title: Re: CB400/4, bracketry under fuel tank
Post by: Scottish Badger on March 21, 2023, 06:55:44 PM
Thanks Ted, that shows the fitment nicely. Clutch cable bracket is available from David Silver, that's where I got mine from. Cheers.
Title: Re: CB400/4, bracketry under fuel tank
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on March 21, 2023, 08:47:25 PM
Thanks Ted, that shows the fitment nicely. Clutch cable bracket is available from David Silver, that's where I got mine from. Cheers.

When I fitted the bracket I had it did not seem to sit right under the petrol tank and the clutch cable route seemed better without the bracket just a cable tie pulling it away from the tank. Might have been the design of the bracket or I used the wrong bolt on the cam breather cover top.

DS have no stock at the moment neither do CSML & the price does not include the guide - I've ordered the SS one so will see what it's like & how it fits.

My Parts book lists it as a brake cable bracket & guide - an old error I assume in the book.
Title: Re: CB400/4, bracketry under fuel tank
Post by: Athame57 on March 21, 2023, 10:02:03 PM
Here you go!