Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: gary123 on March 31, 2023, 11:49:36 AM
-
My 550 came with two fuel taps. the one on the right was fitted to it and looks like micky mouse made it. The one on the left is what is shown in the cmsl parts file, but will not fit my tank.
Its an F1 so can anyone point me to what should be fitted. Ta.
-
[attachimg=1]
-
Hi Gary,
I have a US spec F1 and the tap fitted to mine is the one on the right of your pic. I understand that the correct two outlet type is no longer available. Why doesn't the l/h one fit? That looks like the one on Randakk's bike which I use as reference.
I can't post Randakk's pics, they are over 7mb each and this system doesn't want to reduce them but here's the link to the Orange F1 - you can trawl down to find the tap pics.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-honda-cb550-f-super-sport/
Ian
-
The original was like the one on the right, but there are a lot of cheap copies out there. Some did have a bigger thread on the tank, 20mm instead of 16mm, i have a spare tank with the larger size and tap is like the left hand one.
-
The one on the left is missing it's brass tube, they were brass until about 76 I think and then changed to plastic, if you used the one on the left it wouldn't have any reserve as it runs on the large tube until the fuel hits that level and then you switch to reserve when it feeds from the bottom of the tube, no tube, no reserve. Both are missing the fuel strainer which fits over the tube, unusual to see the one on the right with screws holding the face plate on, they are usually rivets meaning you can't clean the inside of the tap if it gets dirty in there.
You need to measure the size of the spigot fitted to the tank Gary and order a tap accordingly. It's most likely the tanks been changed for a later one, hence why the correct tap doesn't fit any longer. Check inside the spigot on the tank and see if the filter is stuck inside the tank, remove and clean if it is, they ain't cheap to buy.
-
Hi Gary,
I have a US spec F1 and the tap fitted to mine is the one on the right of your pic. I understand that the correct two outlet type is no longer available. Why doesn't the l/h one fit? That looks like the one on Randakk's bike which I use as reference.
I can't post Randakk's pics, they are over 7mb each and this system doesn't want to reduce them but here's the link to the Orange F1 - you can trawl down to find the tap pics.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-honda-cb550-f-super-sport/
Ian
Left hand one doesnt fit because the bras nut is too big, 20mm I think.
Thanks for the link, thats what mine should look like.
-
One on the left is same as 550k3 UK
, just a plastic filter on top as Ken says varying inlets to give you main and reserve. I’m quite sure it was the original on the bike.
-
After a bit of searching it seems the larger (left) tap was fitted to F1s but it looks like I have an F2 tank with 16mm fitting. Not a huge deal, I was just concerned that the single outlet might not be enough. I can use the smaller tap I have as it does have a reserve tube and gauze, if I remember what I did with them.
-
Keep me in mind if you’re disposing of tap on the left. If your keeping that’s fine!😉
-
Keep me in mind if you’re disposing of tap on the left. If your keeping that’s fine!😉
Will do, but I probably will keep it, it may come in handy for the next one.