Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Matt_Harrington on June 07, 2023, 04:48:11 PM

Title: Duff 400/4 Engine! - Matt
Post by: Matt_Harrington on June 07, 2023, 04:48:11 PM
Well I  started to dismantle the project 400/4 I have and the pressing issue is the engine. I briefley started it up (yes it sort of ran) but sounded like a bag of nails and so I decided that it needed pulling apart. The noise was not just chain rattle but also something quite metallic.
As you can see, the cylinder head has some pretty nasty scoring at one end of the camshaft.

[attach=1]

I have not extensively inspected the head yet but is this u/s?

The next issue was when the barrels came off. You will see that No.2 has a broken ring but I have yet to find the missing section of the ring! Looking at the edge of the piston I suspect that this was broken when the barrels were fitted by the previous owner.

[attach=2]
[attach=3]

No doubt I'll find it in the bottom of the engine case with some other bits of metal!!
Title: Re: Duff 400/4 Engine! - Matt
Post by: Oddjob on June 07, 2023, 04:50:23 PM
I'd say that head is basically trash. Sorry
Title: Re: Duff 400/4 Engine! - Matt
Post by: Matt_Harrington on June 08, 2023, 12:30:15 PM
Yup, that's what I thought. I've got a decent rocker cover that is spare and if I need to, I'll strip down the spare engine I have....
Title: Re: Duff 400/4 Engine! - Matt
Post by: Matt_Harrington on June 11, 2023, 05:09:13 PM
Well, looks like the spare engine is going to come into play! Broken piston ring parts (some) were in the sump but not all!. The starter gear (driven one) obviously caught some of the shrapnel and that has caused damage to the needle roller bearing and has also cracked the bearing housing in the gear. The primary chain is really worn and on the bench it is almost flat and the cam chain has made a bed for itself in the cam chain arm. Everything else looks OK including crank and shells (I will probably replace the shells) but I'll get everything degreased and the crankcases professionally cleaned and then a thorough inspection. Top end will be replaced and I'll decide what to do with the barrels once I have the other engine apart.

Oh and BTW, who ever put this all together did so with some sort of grey gasket cement that sets rock hard - needless to say it was a struggle getting things apart. It's all part of the learning curve!

Title: Re: Duff 400/4 Engine! - Matt
Post by: Laverdaroo on June 11, 2023, 08:06:58 PM
Oo, bugger! That’s a bit of a bugger isn’t it bud? Least you e got spares


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Duff 400/4 Engine! - Matt
Post by: Matt_Harrington on June 12, 2023, 08:58:49 AM
Yup, spare engine to the rescue! I'm going to have bits everywhere when I dismantle the next one - hopefully less problematic!