Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: alexdecker on June 13, 2023, 04:36:28 PM
-
Hey
I bought reproduction switches for both sides of my handlebar. The colors seems to be off though. I figured that maybe somebody knew what colors goes to what on these switches. My bike is a european CB550F2.
On the Start/Stop switch with light controls (first picture), I have these colors. The ones in bold is the ones I can't figure out where to go:
Y/Red, Bl/Red, Bl/W, Bl, Bl/Y, Bl/B, and Bl/Grey.
On the turn signal switch, I have these colors:
Light Green, Light Blue, Orange, White, Orange/W, Blue, Lighter Blue/W, Brown/White, Bl/Red, Dark Grey, Bl/grey
Does this make sense to any of you guys?
Regards
Alex
-
The only way you are going to find out is by tracing what colour goes to which switch connection either visibly or with a meter
-
The Light blue and white and the orange and white are not used.
-
Okay, a few follow up questions on the wiring. These questions all relate to all the plugs under the tank on the little black box:
- Is it correctly understood that the brown/blue is the turn signal buzzer?
- My new turn signal switch has a brown/white wire, which is the lights in the tacho and speedo. I can see that in the US models, it is in use, but not on the european models. Can anyone explain why this wire needs to go from turn signal switch on US models?
- The black wire from turn signal switch - what does this do?
- And lastly, where does the horn get power from? Is is connected to light green and black, and in the switch end, it is also connected to light green. But no sound. Is it dependant on any other connections?
-
Horn depends on which wiring system it's using. One has the horn button being the earth and the other has the horn being the earth. Check your horn, does it have a small wire which goes to earth, round by the coils or sometimes on the horn bracket itself. The black wire is the power for the horn and some other things, without that connected not much will work. I presume the new switch has horn/pass or just horn?
Brown/white always seem to be for illumination lights but on the US model it's also used to power the running lights inside the indicators, that's the light blue/white and the orange/white.
Brown/blue was the buzzer.
-
Horn depends on which wiring system it's using. One has the horn button being the earth and the other has the horn being the earth. Check your horn, does it have a small wire which goes to earth, round by the coils or sometimes on the horn bracket itself. The black wire is the power for the horn and some other things, without that connected not much will work. I presume the new switch has horn/pass or just horn?
Brown/white always seem to be for illumination lights but on the US model it's also used to power the running lights inside the indicators, that's the light blue/white and the orange/white.
Brown/blue was the buzzer.
The new switch just has a horn button. And my horn has two wires. A green to ground and a black to power. And they used to work, but with the new switch, all of a sudden it doesn't work, so just wondered about that. I thought maybe the black wire from turn signal switch to power had something to do with it.
-
ok, the horn operation works in two ways depending on if you have the pass button or just horn. if just horn, the power goes from the black wire near to coil, to one terminal of horn, the other terminal is the light green wire to the handlebar switch then to earth through the handlebar when button is pressed. With the pass switch system the power goes to the switch via wiring loom black wire, then through switch when button is depressed via the light green wire to horn then to earth via a short wire from other terminal to horn mount. the black wire near coils is left empty in this application so if you connect to horn it does not work at all. will also depend if new switch is wired as original honda ones
-
Mick has described it really well. On yours it sounds like the horn button is the earth. So the horn is getting power from the black wire near the coils, and when you press the horn button it earths out to the bars. If the switch isn't mounted on the bars there is no earth, have you been testing it with it off the bars?
-
Mick has described it really well. On yours it sounds like the horn button is the earth. So the horn is getting power from the black wire near the coils, and when you press the horn button it earths out to the bars. If the switch isn't mounted on the bars there is no earth, have you been testing it with it off the bars?
I have only tested it mounted to the bars. I haven't removed the actual horn from the bike, so that still has black to near coils, and green to earth. Ok, will need to figure out how to put this together, so it will function.
-
Not sure if this will help but I had a similar issue on my 400 as the horn side bar switch does not have the Pass switch so the horn wiring is different - I found the original wiring diagrams for the two versions to know what colours I was looking for. IIRC the horn has two possible ways of operating.
First way is that one horn wire goes directly to earth the second wire goes into the loom connection, the bar button in this case switches the live supply to work the horn via the loom. Only from memory but live bullet connections are originally only female and are insulated.
Second way is that live power comes out of the loom into the horn - second horn wire goes into the loom at the bar end this wire is again female as it is live - other side of the horn button is the earth.
I used a test lamp as am not very good at continuity testing - hope this helps in some way.
-
just realised you said the horn is earthed, that is wrong with your system. black wire from loom to one side of horn, light green wire from switch to other horn terminal. So black wire supplies 12v when ignition is on to horn then via light green to switch, earths when horn button pressed.... beep.
-
EDIT: Once again it was simple and I’m the idiot. The horn needed power. I gave it that. It works now. Shhheeesh. Ignore everything below.
—
I am slightly confused. So here is how it is wired now.
Horn has a black that goes to ground (by the coils) and light green that goes to loom.
Switch has light green that goes to light green in the loom. I opened up the switch, and no other wires come out from the horn button than the light green.
I have one light green and one black wire left from the switch. If I connect them to their respective colors in the loom, I get nothing, no matter if the switch is mounted to the handlebar or no.
So what am I missing?
-
not sure why you have 2 light green wires, should only be 1, this can be the problem with pattern stuff. Remember on Honda's the black wires are always + supply when ignition is on, dark green is always earth. Light green is only horn circuit
-
Like i said before you need to sit there with a meter and work out what wire goes where, you cannot trust ANY colour on a repop switch