Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: alexdecker on June 13, 2023, 08:09:09 PM

Title: Just stripped the threads on the steering stem head nut
Post by: alexdecker on June 13, 2023, 08:09:09 PM
Torque specs seems to be waaaay too much in the manual for this nut. Around 50 lbs ft. I stripped the threads of the steering stem :( Any advice? Or is a new stem the only way to go?

Title: Re: Just stripped the threads on the steering stem head nut
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on June 13, 2023, 08:12:58 PM
I have a good 550 steering column one that came to me foc yours for the postage cost only.
Title: Re: Just stripped the threads on the steering stem head nut
Post by: alexdecker on June 13, 2023, 09:11:01 PM
I have a good 550 steering column one that came to me foc yours for the postage cost only.

Ted, that is so nice and generous of you. Thank you! Will write you in PM 😊
Title: Re: Just stripped the threads on the steering stem head nut
Post by: Oddjob on June 13, 2023, 09:48:35 PM
You sure it’s the stem not the nut or both?
Title: Re: Just stripped the threads on the steering stem head nut
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on June 13, 2023, 10:15:00 PM
I have stem & nut iirc.
If it's just the nut I have one  pretty sure - chrome is not perfect but all the threads on the stem are fine. Just e maim me my address is on my profile. Ted
Title: Re: Just stripped the threads on the steering stem head nut
Post by: alexdecker on June 14, 2023, 08:25:03 AM
I have stem & nut iirc.
If it's just the nut I have one  pretty sure - chrome is not perfect but all the threads on the stem are fine. Just e maim me my address is on my profile. Ted

Just the stem actually. Just got a brand new nut :)

I have written you a PM! :)
Title: Re: Just stripped the threads on the steering stem head nut
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on June 14, 2023, 09:38:52 AM
Is your bike a 550 or a 500?
Both have the same steering shaft but difference in locks so if you fit the 550 unit in a 500 no steering lock facility as the 500 has a bottom lock. The 550 has the slot for the side lock.
Title: Re: Just stripped the threads on the steering stem head nut
Post by: Sesman on June 14, 2023, 04:16:57 PM
Hi Ted. If that 550 unit eventually becomes a spare I’d appreciate an opportunity to buy.
Title: Re: Just stripped the threads on the steering stem head nut
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on June 15, 2023, 07:47:46 AM
Sorry Phil posted it to Alex yesterday.