Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Multiman on June 25, 2023, 11:14:09 AM

Title: Front mudguard
Post by: Multiman on June 25, 2023, 11:14:09 AM
Hi all,

my front mudguard and brackets is bubbling through with rust and at some point will need replacing.
What's the best source of a new part or anyone got one lying around they don't want? Unlikely I'm sure!

Thanks

Tim
Title: Re: Front mudguard
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on June 25, 2023, 11:30:40 AM
Hope you find a good used one I ended up with a new DS one on my 400 it fitted as it should.
My original was rusted through as well as damaged.
Title: Re: Front mudguard
Post by: TrickyMicky on June 25, 2023, 04:21:35 PM
In case you want to give yourself a heart attack!!!
Title: Re: Front mudguard
Post by: Matt_Harrington on June 25, 2023, 04:38:47 PM
How come this is nearly 3x the price of a new one from DS ?
Title: Re: Front mudguard
Post by: Bryanj on June 25, 2023, 05:46:55 PM
The DS one is pattern not oe
Title: Re: Front mudguard
Post by: TrickyMicky on June 25, 2023, 07:41:24 PM
If it's any consolation, about 2 years ago my front guard was starting to rust/laminate in the usual spot around the brace. I consider myself to have been very fortunate that it had lasted that long, but I had had it re-chromed to a high standard about 8n years prior to this. I contacted the man who organised my re-chroming to be told that metal repairs and further chroming costs had gone ballistic.  Lo and behold, Fleabay were offering a brand new genuine Honda one, still in its unopened packaging.  I won the bid and paid silly money for it. Yes nice item, but we were still looking at 1970's Japanese chrome plating, which did not hold a candle to the finish on my rusting mudguard. The new guard was fitted, the guides for the speedo cable and brake pipe were very shoddy, and I used my original re-chromed stays which were far superior to the new items. Before you ask, the used guard and new stays have been sold, sorry.  The DS pattern ones are made in the UK, I think. If so, I would not worry about looking for an OE item, the one I purchased cost a lot more than the DS guard.  We love this pastime, don't we? Have fun, Mike.
Title: Re: Front mudguard
Post by: Multiman on June 27, 2023, 02:49:31 PM
Classic Bike Bits were cheapest in the end £198 incl dels so a £25 saving over DSS