Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: Athame57 on July 21, 2023, 02:44:01 PM

Title: Leaky fuel tap
Post by: Athame57 on July 21, 2023, 02:44:01 PM
It looks like I've got a leaky fuel tap, experiment ahead. With fuel line off the tap was dripping even in the off position. Can a fuel tap actually be fixed though, paying more then £70.00 for a US spec one I'd prefer to avoid.
Title: Re: Leaky fuel tap
Post by: Oddjob on July 21, 2023, 03:17:17 PM
Depends on the type of tap.

Post a pic, some can be dismantled and some are riveted shut.
Title: Re: Leaky fuel tap
Post by: Skoti on July 21, 2023, 03:32:09 PM
Because the correct rubber washer was not being listed as a separate item on CMS, I instead managed to order a genuine Honda rubber valve washer from a local Honda Power Sports dealer. (sells lawn mowers and generators etc)

Beware of fitting cheapo Fleabay crap, many of them are not ethanol proof.

good luck

Skoti


 
Title: Re: Leaky fuel tap
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on July 21, 2023, 03:41:50 PM
Not sure which fuel tap you have in your 400 I assume it is.
I tried one off e-bay it was the wrong sized tank boss.

I used the DS strainer repair kit - they supply two O rings to fit instead of one in the body iirc - looking at the picture that may have changed .
My issue was mainly the filter pick up pipe  that had fallen to bits - the boss was also leaking.
Title: Re: Leaky fuel tap
Post by: Athame57 on July 21, 2023, 04:54:43 PM
Depends on the type of tap.
Post a pic, some can be dismantled and some are riveted shut.
It is this part from DSS, described as the USA F2 type because I needed that to be compatible with the tank I got from them. https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/by-part-number/partnumber_16950KCPJ01/
Title: Re: Leaky fuel tap
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on July 21, 2023, 04:59:36 PM
Depends on the type of tap.
Post a pic, some can be dismantled and some are riveted shut.
It is this part from DSS, described as the USA F2 type because I needed that to be compatible with the tank I got from them. https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/by-part-number/partnumber_16950KCPJ01/

That's the rivetted up type - last time I looked there were loads of those on e-bay.  Some even cheaper than this link.
Just check the boss thread size.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195382109527?fits=UKM_StreetName%3ASuper+Four%7CUKM_Make%3AHonda&_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20201210111314%26meid%3Dbfe7d8aa2eb04ec09cf44c905c0e6e97%26pid%3D101195%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D184505220529%26itm%3D195382109527%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv11WebTrimmedV3MskuWithLambda85KnnRecallV1V4ItemNrtInQueryAndCassiniVisualRankerAndBertRecall%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851&amdata=cksum%3A195382109527bfe7d8aa2eb04ec09cf44c905c0e6e97%7Cenc%3AAQAIAAABYNaJCFP3eaFlNU%252FMPxRY0TCMczVKEUB5MsBytoCwPnd71M08lfrVO4PuTCchnU42KC4W4fZqxBROE%252BM7tSL%252BgZgL1kWiIUBRsEpydVTA61DhOJDUizwNgM7HKYQEqSaBlEI1vjZj7Zc4rrqqdU4ejTS5wLDnW1XUzOcqDILIiLpubUeyEUuwonL5nLXOpUnXZipZfwIiDcL0wlwC%252BU9rhAy%252BwvKGlUpDTYK%252FWEe807Jq%252BvOhfPKnk0tvE9XfoZo9bhRV0nUm%252FUs3WG1K15J0m3TQZXDUmnPJhVcc4RroB6dPjhqb%252Bonn5AIAuPCx1TsZOI2cycap%252BS%252Bvy%252B0scAWA7F%252FRpHWsRDOMNAgX75Vnk92t43%252FMwGQmJYUoqDyxenTBBFiMSNUzF3yKv2nQwwb5l6SUrzJSaDgGKtSm5A4Yjj94JtjdkM97URkPkxXHaeFPa1ZX2wlJAjoyRiD2pOaNpX4%253D%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2047675
Title: Re: Leaky fuel tap
Post by: Skoti on July 21, 2023, 05:04:25 PM
I repaired one similar to that.

Drilled the rivets out and re-assembled with a new genuine Honda rubber sealing washer.
Drilled straight through and used M4 set screws and nylock nuts to re-assemble.
Title: Re: Leaky fuel tap
Post by: Athame57 on July 21, 2023, 05:21:12 PM

That's the rivetted up type - last time I looked there were loads of those on e-bay.  Some even cheaper than this link.
Just check the boss thread size.
Thanks for the link Ted, but surely these will be UK spec, I need US spec. Unless the boss on them is also 13mm it isn't going to fit.
Title: Re: Leaky fuel tap
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on July 21, 2023, 05:30:38 PM

That's the rivetted up type - last time I looked there were loads of those on e-bay.  Some even cheaper than this link.
Just check the boss thread size.
Thanks for the link Ted, but surely these will be UK spec, I need US spec. Unless the boss on them is also 13mm it isn't going to fit.

I would message the seller to see of they make a 13 mm version - one I bought for my UK version was the US size that I sent back.
Title: Re: Leaky fuel tap
Post by: Nurse Julie on July 21, 2023, 05:45:09 PM
If you look at the sellers other items, it looks to be a clearance warehouse or something similar. You can buy anything from a fishing rod or a pack of 12 wine bottle corks to a garden tap connector and a portable daily pill box 😂😂😂😂😂.
Title: Re: Leaky fuel tap
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on July 21, 2023, 05:47:46 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124820605888?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20201210111314%26meid%3D7d690b1a688d4f8799b437e2e8b71670%26pid%3D101195%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D114901678581%26itm%3D124820605888%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv11WebTrimmedV3MskuWithLambda85KnnRecallV1V4ItemNrtInQueryAndCassiniVisualRankerAndBertRecall%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851&amdata=cksum%3A1248206058887d690b1a688d4f8799b437e2e8b71670%7Cenc%3AAQAIAAABUNaJCFP3eaFlNU%252FMPxRY0TCMczVKEUB5MsBytoCwPnd71M08lfrVO4PuTCchnU42KC4W4fZqxBROE%252BM7tSL%252BgZgL1kWiIUBRsEpydVTA61DhOJDUizwNgM7HKYQEqSaBlFLySQpJhxvrx3efcUcrkWYPe%252BrpTnglKkfjcNs3fD1GrnGpKAJ3xdZTbq0o04sR3AOROWe7uowSwaBaQEvt8lu%252BaYbGwYkZt6QSCC1Wa2jUbWepxmBzb04%252FyfHz1GlXPCcej3Jbe3kXNt%252FqYXk4%252FdMjTNlRkfz19qv124TfIXH%252F71mIXFl4ZkQLyI3FbzGEUzhN1jix7dlfQvsyewQCLTtNfbAe8JNZaxEKd1zNmKgFJrp1zgX7M4%252F0raZ5L%252BJwhENj6DlPeuHWdN%252FMw%252FlYQemKgW%252FzoohalVzdRKnzxBikyY%252FfcURdXS7W3fwz3DEwOw%253D%253D%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2047675

The one I bought & returned was less than £20 iirc but sent it back as the thread was too small - not in my -bay history as I had a full refund in 2021.

If you have the correct Honda Part number for the US tank might be worth an google search.
Title: Re: Leaky fuel tap
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on July 21, 2023, 06:11:31 PM
What about this one its a 13 mm thread on amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WOOSTAR-Petcock-Filter-Replacement-Wheeler/dp/B09FZDV49H
Title: Re: Leaky fuel tap
Post by: Oddjob on July 21, 2023, 09:14:07 PM
You should be able to drill the tops off the rivets, remove the face plate and lever, remove and replace the oring inside and then retap the holes where the rivets went to fit some 3 or 4mm screws.