Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: colin400four on July 25, 2010, 05:00:53 PM

Title: Been Messin ............
Post by: colin400four on July 25, 2010, 05:00:53 PM
Had a go at restoring a regulator and master cylinder brake cap and I'm quite pleased with the results.....
Title: Re: Been Messin ............
Post by: colin400four on July 25, 2010, 05:02:33 PM
and after..........
Title: Re: Been Messin ............
Post by: colin400four on July 25, 2010, 05:03:30 PM
and the brake cap ....
Title: Re: Been Messin ............
Post by: steven400/4 on July 25, 2010, 07:44:56 PM
very nice was it easy todo???
Title: Re: Been Messin ............
Post by: colin400four on July 26, 2010, 06:03:20 AM
Thanks Steven400/4,

The work it's self was easy enough, Just fiddly, The brake cap was stripped /sanded back, primed and top coated and then a sticker applied which was lacquered over.

The Regulator was a little more problematic, I wanted to re plate the finish on the brite metal work but I didn't think the electrics would take kindly to dipping in a zinc plating tank, so I cut them back to bare metal with a scotch brite dollie, the removeable bottom setion was stripped in a acid salts pickling solution and to stop them rusting , I coated with lacquer. The black cover was dipped in vinegar to remove the rust and then sanded back to bare metal with the scotch brite dolly, primed and glossed over.

The little screws and washers were re plated. I had to re use the "green,black & white Sticker". For the rubber parts I have found that silicon grease brings these small rubber parts back to almost like new...... used this grease (sparingly) on the rubber Seats/ gaskets between the chrome base and the speedo / rev counter and was well pleased with the result.

COLIN.
Title: Re: Been Messin ............
Post by: UK Pete on July 26, 2010, 12:17:32 PM
Fantastic bit of restoration work colin, bet your well pleased, now put them on the mantle piece, sit down and admire
pete
Title: Re: Been Messin ............
Post by: colin400four on July 26, 2010, 12:55:48 PM
Thanks UK Pete,

At Last a Man of my own heart, You know me so well   ;D ;D ;D

COLIN.
Title: Re: Been Messin ............
Post by: rigwit on July 29, 2010, 10:36:20 AM
looks good............   powerflow tinning  paste, for copper pipe joints is a semi agressive acidic etch brings old spade ends up bullet  etc  no prob with just a nice bit of heat either the solder iron or a gas torch  or i suppose   a high heat hairdryer or paintstripper would do the job but never tried the two latter .
Title: Re: Been Messin ............
Post by: florence on July 30, 2010, 10:25:21 AM
Gadzooks! I don't think they were that shiny even when new.  Well done.
Title: Re: Been Messin ............
Post by: PatM on August 02, 2010, 08:28:04 AM
Yep, they look a treat and it never ceases to amaze me the effort some folks go to! I paintend my wswitches and master cylinder in May with Humbrol ennamel- was quite happy with the outcome- then bled the brakes and got b/fluid on it- despite my care...:-( Oh well, at least it was cheap!