Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Johnny4428 on September 01, 2023, 01:13:47 PM

Title: Mmm, any good?
Post by: Johnny4428 on September 01, 2023, 01:13:47 PM
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325787294734?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20221115143056%26meid%3D54000ca6d3d6416a8c9094a45f04451a%26pid%3D101612%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26itm%3D325787294734%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D4375194%26algv%3DRecentlyViewedItemsV2&_trksid=p4375194.c101612.m4236&_trkparms=parentrq%3A50a24e5e18a0ab3a32c869b2ffff1d36%7Cpageci%3Ad7aa00af-48bf-11ee-ada0-aa9f8a5c38bf%7Ciid%3A1%7Cvlpname%3Avlp_homepage

Bloody annoying when bits has been robbed off it!😡
Title: Re: Mmm, any good?
Post by: Matt_Harrington on September 01, 2023, 02:27:57 PM
Should wake up the neighbours with those pipes!
Title: Re: Mmm, any good?
Post by: Bryanj on September 01, 2023, 03:51:49 PM
Typical Yank pipes those
Title: Re: Mmm, any good?
Post by: Johnny4428 on September 01, 2023, 04:07:04 PM
Typical Yank pipes those
Yes. Similar to ones on the 750 when it was imported. Plenty room at the recycling centre for them!😂
Title: Re: Mmm, any good?
Post by: Orcade-Ian on September 01, 2023, 05:46:44 PM
Hi Johnny,
Are you actually thinking of a 350/4?  Mine is not for sale but you can borrow it and see if it's the sort of thing you might get on with.  I personally think they're better than the 400 in many ways but obviously lack the power of the 550. 

Ian

Title: Re: Mmm, any good?
Post by: Johnny4428 on September 01, 2023, 06:09:06 PM
I wasn’t really sure what I wanted Ian, but that is a kind offer indeed, might pop up and have a wee spin on it?  Was actually up your way this afternoon. Don’t think there was anybody home though?
Title: Re: Mmm, any good?
Post by: Orcade-Ian on September 01, 2023, 06:32:35 PM
Hi Johnny,
Sorry I missed you today, Christine said she saw a bike coming up the road as she was going out. Hey ho.  I went out early on the Forza and picked up an E bike from Alec in KW for a trip with a mate to Shapinsay.  He will be 90 in January and still riding a bike! (even if it's an E bike). Lovely ferry trip, visited friends over there and even went to the reopened Smiddy restaurant.  A grand day out Grommit!
I'll be away for a couple of weeks in September (Yorks/Lancs) on the Forza, so you could have the 350/4 then if you like.

Ian
Title: Re: Mmm, any good?
Post by: Johnny4428 on September 01, 2023, 06:58:16 PM
No problem Ian! I am away later in September too for 12 days. 90! Good on him indeed. Did you manage to keep up with him?🤭
Title: Re: Mmm, any good?
Post by: Orcade-Ian on September 02, 2023, 07:57:55 AM
Did you manage to keep up with him?🤭

Only after I adjusted his rear brake when he wasn't looking so it was dragging!  ;D

Ian

Title: Re: Mmm, any good?
Post by: TrickyMicky on September 02, 2023, 08:07:46 AM
Typical Yank pipes those
Yes. Similar to ones on the 750 when it was imported. Plenty room at the recycling centre for them!😂
Looking at the pipes on the advertised 350, I see that they have used the system of siamesing pipes 1&2, and 3&4.  This gives a rather uneven exhaust note from each side due to those cylinders being at 180 degrees to each other. For a nice smooth note it is far better to join 1&4 along with 2&3. That would give a rather pleasant howl all the way across the Pentland Firth!!!
Title: Re: Mmm, any good?
Post by: Johnny4428 on September 02, 2023, 08:29:59 AM
Did you manage to keep up with him?🤭

Only after I adjusted his rear brake when he wasn't looking so it was dragging!  ;D

Ian
😂😂🤭
Title: Re: Mmm, any good?
Post by: Johnny4428 on September 02, 2023, 08:35:49 AM
Typical Yank pipes those
Yes. Similar to ones on the 750 when it was imported. Plenty room at the recycling centre for them!😂
Looking at the pipes on the advertised 350, I see that they have used the system of siamesing pipes 1&2, and 3&4.  This gives a rather uneven exhaust note from each side due to those cylinders being at 180 degrees to each other. For a nice smooth note it is far better to join 1&4 along with 2&3. That would give a rather pleasant howl all the way across the Pentland Firth!!!
Never thought of that Micky! Neither did the previous owner by the looks of it. I’m afraid the bike would be rather silent crossing the Pentland Firth as it would be strapped to the deck of a boat! 😜
Title: Re: Mmm, any good?
Post by: TrickyMicky on September 02, 2023, 09:21:41 AM
Oops, typo!!!  Should have read "that could be heard all the way across the Pentland Firth".   Ancient fingers being operated by a scrambled brain.. Mike.
Title: Re: Mmm, any good?
Post by: Johnny4428 on September 02, 2023, 12:20:50 PM
Oops, typo!!!  Should have read "that could be heard all the way across the Pentland Firth".   Ancient fingers being operated by a scrambled brain.. Mike.
That makes more sense.😜
Impressed with your knowledge on the Pentland Firth though when you are so far away.
Title: Re: Mmm, any good?
Post by: Orcade-Ian on September 02, 2023, 12:32:06 PM
Hi Johnny,
You will obviously be aware that original chimneys are not available and that some on here have experienced problems with the DS copies.  The downpipes on that one look useable and I'm not sure if they are still available but MIVV used to do some very nice looking silencers in stainless for the 350/4.
I haven't checked mine but that sidestand looks a long way forward.  One tank badge, rear indicators, stems and mounts are about all missing - lots of 350/4 parts available from USA and Europe.

I have quite a few bits kicking about - shout if you end up with it.

Ian
Title: Re: Mmm, any good?
Post by: Johnny4428 on September 02, 2023, 12:34:32 PM
Thanks very much Ian. I did wonder about exhausts. Much appreciated.
Title: Re: Mmm, any good?
Post by: Oddjob on September 02, 2023, 03:11:41 PM
Wasn't someone producing 350 exhausts and the first run was really badly welded on the seams? I remember seeing pics of the welding. For some reason I'm thinking Roy Hall.
Title: Re: Mmm, any good?
Post by: Orcade-Ian on September 02, 2023, 04:26:27 PM
I think you are right Ken,
It was poor welding and fit.  Roy certainly has or had a 350.  That one is a bit dear really as by the time you have shovelled money down its throat trying to make a minter, you would be well past its value.  Still could make a reasonable, useable and quite rare classic just tidied up though and still think the 350 is a nicer bike than my 400 - especially as I get older, which I would like to carry on doing!

Ian
Title: Re: Mmm, any good?
Post by: Bryanj on September 02, 2023, 04:47:39 PM
Biggest difference is 350 only has 5 gears whilst 400 has 6 and you have to keep stirring the 400 to keep up momentum so not sure about 350
Title: Re: Mmm, any good?
Post by: Orcade-Ian on September 02, 2023, 05:01:32 PM
Exactly Bryan,
The 5 speed box is better for me - I think the 6 speed was little more than a marketing gimmick at the time, to go with the slightly more rear mounted footrests and low bars.  The higher bars are very comfortable.  In top gear the speedo and rev counter are 'interchangeable' - 5000 rpm is 50mph.

I would part with my 400 before the 350,
Ian
Title: Re: Mmm, any good?
Post by: Orcade-Ian on September 02, 2023, 06:48:11 PM
Correction to my earlier comment - the side stand position is correct. It appeared too far forward from my memories but I have been out on the 550F1 a lot recently which IS much further back.
Ian
Title: Re: Mmm, any good?
Post by: TrickyMicky on September 02, 2023, 06:50:47 PM
Oops, typo!!!  Should have read "that could be heard all the way across the Pentland Firth".   Ancient fingers being operated by a scrambled brain.. Mike.
That makes more sense.😜
Impressed with your knowledge on the Pentland Firth though when you are so far away.
For my sins, until I retired 11 years ago I used to be a tour coach driver. Visited Orkney a couple of times, marvellous. Would have loved to have been on a bike!!
Title: Re: Mmm, any good?
Post by: Orcade-Ian on September 02, 2023, 06:58:30 PM
Yes, the Italian Chapel is stunning and difficult to imagine the level of skill and dedication they put into it.
I hope you weren't 'sued' to be a coach driver  :D (caught that before you edited it!)

Anyway, there's nothing stopping you from coming here on a bike - would be great for us to turn the tables and give you a guided tour of toy cupboards instead of 'stones and bones'

Ian
Title: Re: Mmm, any good?
Post by: Johnny4428 on September 03, 2023, 02:04:56 PM
Ah, the plot thickens Micky! Quite a nice road to go across the Churchill barriers to Burwick which is as far south as you can go. Just about as far as you could go without getting wet Ian!