Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Honda enthusiast on September 23, 2023, 06:46:04 AM

Title: New kid on the block
Post by: Honda enthusiast on September 23, 2023, 06:46:04 AM
I've just bought this CB500 Four...I had one in 1977 and riding this takes me back to then. Fond memories and this one doesn't disappoint ..it's got a DSS replica exhaust but apart from a repainted tank it's all original down to the oe tool kit and rubber fuse holder under the seat.
Title: Re: New kid on the block
Post by: Johnny4428 on September 23, 2023, 07:05:44 AM
That’s a nice looking 500 there Hubert! Doesn’t look as if it needs anything. Any progress on the 750?
Title: Re: New kid on the block
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 23, 2023, 08:11:27 AM
Very nice looking 500 you have there from the US originally I assume looking at  the handle bars & rear lamp.
Title: Re: New kid on the block
Post by: Bryanj on September 23, 2023, 08:17:17 AM
Looks like an early K0 to me
Title: Re: New kid on the block
Post by: philward on September 23, 2023, 08:49:21 AM
Lovely condition for an unrestored bike - enjoy your new bike

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk

Title: Re: New kid on the block
Post by: Honda enthusiast on September 23, 2023, 02:58:23 PM
That’s a nice looking 500 there Hubert! Doesn’t look as if it needs anything. Any progress on the 750?

Thanks, the 750 is stripped down to a frame now which is going to be sent away for powder coating.....got sidetracked though and bought a Laverda triple
Title: Re: New kid on the block
Post by: Honda enthusiast on September 23, 2023, 03:03:28 PM
Here's the two 😁[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]
Title: Re: New kid on the block
Post by: Bryanj on September 23, 2023, 03:36:36 PM
Laverda mmmmmmm
Title: Re: New kid on the block
Post by: Laverda Dave on September 23, 2023, 03:47:22 PM
Oh, a RGS, the reliable Laverda (apart from the Speedo sometimes that can fail). What's it's history and milage. I've never seen a yellow one, has it been resprayed sometime in it's lifetime?
If you need any engine work etc go and visit Keith Nairn at Laverda Scozia, he's in the Glasgow(ish) area.
Title: Re: New kid on the block
Post by: Honda enthusiast on September 23, 2023, 05:11:22 PM
It's been rebuilt fully and resprayed yellow by a guy in the owners club. Runs nicely and it's done 52000 Kms before the nut and bolt job. It's actually an IOM bike.... everything has been done including a clock restoration by a Dutch specialist......it's seriously loud but a bit addictive! Zero in common with a Honda

I've spoken with Keith Nairn, I'm lucky he's in driving distance which i.might need. At the moment I'm looking at higher bars and am going to try a set of Tomaselli adjustables...
Title: Re: New kid on the block
Post by: Seabeowner on September 23, 2023, 07:17:25 PM
Lovely 500. I managed to get some history on mine as I had a title. A bit of research on the net and sent letters to a couple of addresses. Owned by a husband and wife in Colorado Springs. He sent me pics with the usual handlebar fairing and feet forward rests fitted. It had 92 main jets fitted presumably because of the altitude.
Title: Re: New kid on the block
Post by: Honda enthusiast on September 23, 2023, 08:29:27 PM
Thanks everyone for the positive input...I don't have the title I don't think but I have the registration paperwork from DVLA. It was registered in 2017 with 9100 miles, now 10200....what appealed to me was it was just like my old one in 1977 that I bought with 2000 miles and I'm so pleased riding this brought back the thrill of riding the old one after all these years.
Now 66 I can't think of riding  it to Holyhead and then Southern Ireland to Bantry Bay in a day!
Title: Re: New kid on the block
Post by: Laverdaroo on September 24, 2023, 04:59:15 PM
Lovely 500 but the RG is beautiful, odd choice of colour but each to his own and all that. All that  being said, looks fantastic. Well done that man


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: New kid on the block
Post by: Johnny4428 on September 24, 2023, 05:03:07 PM
That is a lovely looking Laverda! Know absolutely zero about them.
Title: Re: New kid on the block
Post by: Honda enthusiast on September 26, 2023, 07:38:13 AM
That is a lovely looking Laverda! Know absolutely zero about them.
I'm going to repaint it in Ferrari Energia Rosso, I've bought the paint and just need the time to get it prepped....it's very load so a set of quiet Keihan silencers are on the way 😁👍

You and me too, I'm on a learning curve with it
Title: Re: New kid on the block
Post by: Honda enthusiast on September 26, 2023, 07:39:57 AM
Lovely 500 but the RG is beautiful, odd choice of colour but each to his own and all that. All that  being said, looks fantastic. Well done that man thanks 👍 that's much appreciated 🙂👍👍


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: New kid on the block
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 26, 2023, 07:55:53 AM
Lovely looking Laverda - yellow  cars & bikes have  become a niche indicator of performance models.

Two downside of yellow are it can fade badly & flies see it as a toilet here sign or the last thing they see if you are moving. ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: New kid on the block
Post by: Honda enthusiast on September 26, 2023, 09:40:16 PM
Lovely looking Laverda - yellow  cars & bikes have  become a niche indicator of performance models.

Two downside of yellow are it can fade badly & flies see it as a toilet here sign or the last thing they see if you are moving. ;D ;D ;D
. Tbh Ted, I bought it because it's been fully restored including the engine. If you think Honda parts are expensive, then Laverda parts are in two leagues above and very hard to come by. I intend to repaint it metallic red as the yellow base coat reacted with the original paint leaving what looks like rounded scratches in the base which the clear coat filled in. It's flat so I can't feel them with a fingernail but at an oblique angle it looks dreadful...the seller who is also a Laverda club member ripped me off as I bought it unseen after he put me in touch with the restorer who said it was perfect...leaves a nasty taste
Title: Re: New kid on the block
Post by: Johnny4428 on September 27, 2023, 06:44:10 AM
That’s bloody annoying, the chance we take buying unseen, although within these organisations and clubs it is expected that people are upfront about what they are selling! Especially with these higher value Marques. 😡😡
Title: Re: New kid on the block
Post by: Honda enthusiast on September 27, 2023, 08:29:23 AM
That’s bloody annoying, the chance we take buying unseen, although within these organisations and clubs it is expected that people are upfront about what they are selling! Especially with these higher value Marques. 😡😡
. Yes, that's what I thought too but one can't go back can one ?  I'm going to make it mine and will post pics when it's done... cheers Johnny
Title: Re: New kid on the block
Post by: Johnwebley on September 27, 2023, 10:30:06 AM


   Both nice bikes,with character,

  might bean idea to contact Richard Slater,he has all the details  of UK imports,

 I assume the owners club should have his details
Title: Re: New kid on the block
Post by: Honda enthusiast on September 27, 2023, 06:42:04 PM


   Both nice bikes,with character,

  might bean idea to contact Richard Slater,he has all the details  of UK imports,

 I assume the owners club should have his details
Thanks 👍 I have Richard Slater's contact details but he wants £150 to look up the bike on his records with the frame and engine numbers....seems like it's going to be an expensive bike.
Title: Re: New kid on the block
Post by: Oddjob on September 27, 2023, 06:45:20 PM
That's just taking the piss.

150p I'd say is more appropriate.
Title: Re: New kid on the block
Post by: Johnwebley on September 27, 2023, 07:12:18 PM


   Both nice bikes,with character,

  might bean idea to contact Richard Slater,he has all the details  of UK imports,

 I assume the owners club should have his details
Thanks I have Richard Slater's contact details but he wants £150 to look up the bike on his records with the frame and engine numbers....seems like it's going to be an expensive bike.
It's his pension

He put a lot of effort into importing Laverdas



Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

Title: Re: New kid on the block
Post by: Honda enthusiast on September 28, 2023, 05:49:54 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to do that as it will be good to have the starting point for the RGS....not too much to pay really in the scheme of things. I've joined the ILOC and it's a friendly club.


   Both nice bikes,with character,

  might bean idea to contact Richard Slater,he has all the details  of UK imports,

 I assume the owners club should have his details
Thanks I have Richard Slater's contact details but he wants £150 to look up the bike on his records with the frame and engine numbers....seems like it's going to be an expensive bike.
It's his pension

He put a lot of effort into importing Laverdas



Sent from my SM- TA546E using Tapatalk
Thanks I'll follow that up, not too much to pay considering he's the only source and it will give my RGS some history....I've joined the ILOC and found it a friendly place