Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: DomP on September 30, 2023, 04:32:50 PM

Title: Fitting oil seals
Post by: DomP on September 30, 2023, 04:32:50 PM
On reassembly of my crankcases should I put a very thin smear of Hondabond on the oil seals that aren't on the case half joints ie selector drum seal?
Title: Re: Fitting oil seals
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 30, 2023, 04:56:26 PM
I would not just makes it harder to remove in the future.
A smear of Red Rubber grease works for me.
Title: Re: Fitting oil seals
Post by: DomP on September 30, 2023, 06:34:23 PM
That was what I wondered but I've seen on some builds where they've been hondabonded but I might be thinking of all the seals that intersect the case halves. 
Title: Re: Fitting oil seals
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 30, 2023, 07:26:51 PM
I used a smear of Hondabond on the crank seals & the bearings to keep them in position laterally.
Title: Re: Fitting oil seals
Post by: Bryanj on September 30, 2023, 08:29:06 PM
Goop on seals held by clamped cases, grease on pushed in ones
Title: Re: Fitting oil seals
Post by: DomP on September 30, 2023, 09:04:09 PM
Goop on seals held by clamped cases, grease on pushed in ones

Cheers Bryan, see you tomorrow!