Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: captaindonutbikes on August 12, 2010, 12:39:33 AM

Title: 650 cam swap for cb550k3
Post by: captaindonutbikes on August 12, 2010, 12:39:33 AM
anyone done this ? if so what year cam ?
Title: Re: 650 cam swap for cb550k3
Post by: Bryanj on August 12, 2010, 11:11:17 AM
All the same but you cant use a tacho as the gear is different
Title: Re: 650 cam swap for cb550k3
Post by: ffjmoore on August 12, 2010, 03:56:05 PM
As long as its a SOHC 650 it will fit. I hear it makes a pretty good difference. i haven't put mine in yet though.
Title: Re: 650 cam swap for cb550k3
Post by: lordwhimsey on August 12, 2010, 07:33:31 PM
I heard some rumour that there was a slightly gentler cam profile used on a late model, German market 650, but other than that I think they're all the same.

I've put one in my motor (along with a 592 big bore kit!) but I haven't started it up yet! I'll let you know when I do but you'll have probably got your own by then!
Title: Re: 650 cam swap for cb550k3
Post by: captaindonutbikes on August 13, 2010, 11:25:19 AM
where did you acquire the cam ?
Title: Re: 650 cam swap for cb550k3
Post by: ffjmoore on August 13, 2010, 06:43:11 PM
got mine off ebay
Title: Re: 650 cam swap for cb550k3
Post by: lordwhimsey on August 13, 2010, 07:35:25 PM
Me too; eBay,
Title: Re: 650 cam swap for cb550k3
Post by: pae on August 13, 2010, 10:48:52 PM
Seems to be OK to do this.

In a thread from the 650 forum it states "Be aware that two versions of the camshaft exist, you probably like to have the one with 36mm lobes (63hp) instead of the 33mm (50hp) lobes of some european models."


Phil