Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Mike_Berkshire on May 01, 2024, 10:10:31 AM

Title: Swinging arm bushes
Post by: Mike_Berkshire on May 01, 2024, 10:10:31 AM
Another newbie question. I am getting close to the point where I can send the frame to the paintshop for stripping/enamelling. I have taken off the swinging arm, removed the pivot bolt & the end caps. I assume that where the manual (Im mainly using Haynes) describes 'bushes' it is referring to the inner (steel?) sleeve. Having only worked on old Brit bikes previously, to me a swinging arm bush is a short brass or phosphor bronze insert. Subject to the bush sleeve being within tolerance I am planning to leave it in the swinging arm whilst it is repainted; masking the ends and the grease nipple. Is this approach OK and is my understanding of what needs to be checked for tolerance correct? Thanks
Title: Re: Swinging arm bushes
Post by: Nurse Julie on May 01, 2024, 10:17:31 AM
The old ones you are referring to are like a bakolite. Cut a chanel in them and remove them before powder coating etc. Just cut lengthway with a hacksaw blade and prise out. Then cover the ends for powder coating. I sell the bronze bush replacements.

[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: Swinging arm bushes
Post by: Mike_Berkshire on May 01, 2024, 10:47:57 AM
The old ones you are referring to are like a bakolite. Cut a chanel in them and remove them before powder coating etc. Just cut lengthway with a hacksaw blade and prise out. Then cover the ends for powder coating. I sell the bronze bush replacements.
Thats extremely helpful and I now understand - having properly cleaned the area I can now see. So I remove the inner steel tube, cut out the old bushes, mask, paint, knock the new bushes in, put the steel tube back in, refit arm, re-fit retaining bolt, re-grease? Thanks so much! Mike
Title: Re: Swinging arm bushes
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on May 01, 2024, 10:50:50 AM
I used the bushes that Julie sells in my 400 & 500 - they are spot on.

I put the replacement bushes in the freezer overnight then drited them in with out too much difficulty.

I don't recall any removable inner steel tube, it is shown in the parts book - I obviously left mine as it was.
Title: Re: Swinging arm bushes
Post by: mickwinf on May 01, 2024, 12:12:56 PM
I never have much luck sawing the old bushes so made a simple tool. A thick washer the diameter of the hole in the swing arm but too big for Bush. File 2 flats on washer to allow it to pass through Bush then drop through to other side and drive Bush out with long drift. Easy! Also recommend bushes sold by Julie.
Title: Re: Swinging arm bushes
Post by: Laverda Dave on May 01, 2024, 12:28:04 PM
+1 with the bushes sold by Julie and Ted's top-tip re the freezer. A word of warning though, make 100% sure there is no paint on the edge of the swing arm where the top hat of the bush sits otherwise the swing arm will bind on the frame at the pivot point when you torque the pivot nut.
Title: Re: Swinging arm bushes
Post by: SteveW on May 01, 2024, 01:22:25 PM
I heated the end of the swingarm and just knocked out the bush with a long steel rod. Came out pretty easy, no cutting.
Title: Re: Swinging arm bushes
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on May 01, 2024, 04:44:13 PM
I heated the end of the swingarm and just knocked out the bush with a long steel rod. Came out pretty easy, no cutting.

Are you refering to the short bushes that used to be plastic (Julies are Brass) or the long Center Collar shown in the parts book diagram as item 13 p/n 52141-300-000 a hefty £103.22  from DS?
Title: Re: Swinging arm bushes
Post by: Bryanj on May 01, 2024, 05:08:56 PM
Usually you find the collar more worn than the bushes, the early one is still available, but bloody expensive, the later one is not available but you can use the early one, preferably with the bolt having a grease nipple at each end rather than the one in middle of swing arm
Title: Re: Swinging arm bushes
Post by: Johnny4428 on May 01, 2024, 05:31:08 PM
I’ve fitted a couple of sets also from NJ. Only advice I can offer is make sure the inside of swingarm tube is spotless. I drove mine in with a rubber mallet.
Title: Re: Swinging arm bushes
Post by: SteveW on May 01, 2024, 06:08:09 PM
I heated the end of the swingarm and just knocked out the bush with a long steel rod. Came out pretty easy, no cutting.

Are you refering to the short bushes that used to be plastic (Julies are Brass) or the long Center Collar shown in the parts book diagram as item 13 p/n 52141-300-000 a hefty £103.22  from DS?

They were about 2 inches long and definitely metal.
Title: Re: Swinging arm bushes
Post by: SteveW on May 02, 2024, 05:39:42 PM
I have a set of the bronze bushes from Julie I’m about to install.
Do I still need the caps, item 15 in the picture?
Title: Re: Swinging arm bushes
Post by: Laverda Dave on May 02, 2024, 05:51:11 PM
Yes you do Steve. They are dust seals and they also have a rubber seal on the inside to keep the swing arm grease in.
Title: Re: Swinging arm bushes
Post by: Seabeowner on May 02, 2024, 06:55:45 PM
Usually you find the collar more worn than the bushes, the early one is still available, but bloody expensive, the later one is not available but you can use the early one, preferably with the bolt having a grease nipple at each end rather than the one in middle of swing arm

That's been my experience as well. Managed to find a couple of the precision steel rods when they were cheaper.
Title: Re: Swinging arm bushes
Post by: SteveW on May 02, 2024, 06:59:13 PM
Yes you do Steve. They are dust seals and they also have a rubber seal on the inside to keep the swing arm grease in.

Thanks Dave.
Title: Re: Swinging arm bushes
Post by: Bryanj on May 02, 2024, 08:05:44 PM
Dave, its only the later ones with a rubber seal, early ones the seal is the felt ring, i think i still used the caps with the bronze bushings though
Title: Re: Swinging arm bushes
Post by: SteveW on May 02, 2024, 08:45:26 PM
Mine had the felt seals, I don’t need them do I?
Title: Re: Swinging arm bushes
Post by: Nurse Julie on May 02, 2024, 09:10:49 PM
You don't use the felt with the bronze bushes, just the end cap.
Title: Re: Swinging arm bushes
Post by: Laverda Dave on May 02, 2024, 09:26:44 PM
Dave, its only the later ones with a rubber seal, early ones the seal is the felt ring, i think i still used the caps with the bronze bushings though

I've been hanging around 400/4’s for too long Bryan, I thought looking at the parts diagram the end caps were the same as those on a 400. Every day is a school day on the forum👍
Title: Re: Swinging arm bushes
Post by: Mike_Berkshire on May 02, 2024, 09:39:55 PM
Old bushes knocked out today. They were as Julie described: a sort of Bakelite material, definitely not metal. I concocted a tool to knock them out made of a length of M10 studding. Worked a treat. When it comes time to put the arm back in the frame I’m probably going to need some help. Looking at the parts diagram I don’t recall there being that many spacers and washers etc when I took it apart. Everything that came off was bagged up however,
.
Title: Re: Swinging arm bushes
Post by: Nurse Julie on May 02, 2024, 10:00:53 PM
Old bushes knocked out today. They were as Julie described: a sort of Bakelite material, definitely not metal. I concocted a tool to knock them out made of a length of M10 studding. Worked a treat. When it comes time to put the arm back in the frame I’m probably going to need some help. Looking at the parts diagram I don’t recall there being that many spacers and washers etc when I took it apart. Everything that came off was bagged up however,
.
On yours Mike, referring to the fiché picture, you only fit the new bronze bushes and the end cap.
Title: Re: Swinging arm bushes
Post by: SteveW on May 02, 2024, 10:28:18 PM
You don't use the felt with the bronze bushes, just the end cap.
Thanks Julie 👍