Honda-SOHC
General => Out & About => Topic started by: Orcade-Ian on May 02, 2024, 09:21:59 PM
-
Managed to cut the grass first thing, so felt that I had earned a ride out. Passing a friend's place about a mile away, he was just wheeling his CRF Rally out, so with nowhere in mind we set off together and went out around the north of the Mainland (of Orkney) via Costa and Evie, into Finstown and on a whim (thought you said it was a 550?) headed for the Barrier View cafe just by the first Churchill barrier. Suitably fed and watered, Les led us out via the Airport, back through town and then had a gentle pootle back home. Really enjoyable impromptu ride of just under 60 miles.
[attach=1]
[attach=2]
Ian
-
That looks lovely
The weather here is rubbish
I hope to visit next year
Keep the good weather for me
Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk
-
We'll do our best John - was quite warm but still had a choppy wind.
Ian
-
Very nice looking motorcycle with a perfect backdrop.
So, what is a Churchill barrier Ian?
-
Hi Dave,
The Churchill Barriers (4 in total) were built during WW2 after a German Sub got through the blockship barrier to enter Scapa Flow and sank the Royal Oak with the loss of many hundreds of lives. Churchill brought about the building of 4 barriers linking Islands to the south of the Orkney Mainland to prevent such a thing being repeated. Much of the work was carried out by Italian POWs, who also built the World famous Italian Chapel. Eventually roads were constructed on the barriers so you can now travel from Holm to Burwick which previously had to be done by boat. I'm sure Johnny will chime in with more info - don't think he (or Churchill) helped build them though!
Ian
-
Nice bike, open vistas, a great combination Ian!
You've made a great job of the 550, looks very nice and original spec..
-
Hello Hubert,
I must admit that the bike I got from James provided a great starting point as it was mostly unmolested. With help and parts from many forum members and a large tin of elbow grease, I'm very pleased with the result. The rack and top box - yes, I know not for the purists are very quickly detachable - without disturbing indicators but I want to use this bike for longer trips and don't like throw-overs or having stuff held on with bungees. On the other theme of Gareth's proposed 'treffen' do you want to liaise regarding a stop-over on the Sunday?
Ian
-
Hi Dave,
The Churchill Barriers (4 in total) were built during WW2 after a German Sub got through the blockship barrier to enter Scapa Flow and sank the Royal Oak with the loss of many hundreds of lives. Churchill brought about the building of 4 barriers linking Islands to the south of the Orkney Mainland to prevent such a thing being repeated. Much of the work was carried out by Italian POWs, who also built the World famous Italian Chapel. Eventually roads were constructed on the barriers so you can now travel from Holm to Burwick which previously had to be done by boat. I'm sure Johnny will chime in with more info - don't think he (or Churchill) helped build them though!
Ian
Thanks Ian. A bit more history to add to my WW11 memory bank in case I am asked about them during my guided tours of the Battle of Britain bunker (No 11 Group, Uxbridge).
-
What’s this sunshine thing you’re on about ☹ï¸
-
Its what happens on that half day in August when nobody is looking
-
For Laverda Dave and anyone else interested in Orkney or contemplating a trip, this is a short piece about the barriers on a local website:
https://www.orkney.com/listings/churchill-barriers
Ian