Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Laverdaroo on May 09, 2024, 09:22:45 PM

Title: Anyone recognise this bit?
Post by: Laverdaroo on May 09, 2024, 09:22:45 PM
I’m just servicing some carbs for a pal as they’re gritty and a bit nasty although look clean. Upon disassembly this fell out of them. I don’t recognise it and can’t find it in a diagram and don’t actually think it goes with this set!
Anybody recognise it at all?

It’s concave one way and pointy on the other, looks a bit lite the top of the ‘T’s that sit in the lifters but obviously isn’t and I simply can’t place it.

Any idea anyone?(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240509/6666f4edc1f42ef965620a710eb135b1.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Anyone recognise this bit?
Post by: Laverdaroo on May 09, 2024, 09:23:18 PM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240509/4a2c87a46cdb5b1272ddb9adb86de606.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Anyone recognise this bit?
Post by: Athame57 on May 09, 2024, 09:38:12 PM
For a moment I wondered if it might be a valve stem oil seal and how on earth did it get there, but no. :o  Actually I think it may end up being a foreign body, not off the bike?
Title: Re: Anyone recognise this bit?
Post by: Laverda Dave on May 09, 2024, 09:42:35 PM
It doesn't look long ke a carb part Roo, well not OEM anyway but does it have a thread on it? I'm just thinking maybe someone at some stage has taken the lifter spindle out  and to do that you have to drill the locating dowl out. Of course it then has to be replaced! I've done this a couple of times in the past and used either a roll pin ground to length or in the case of Ratty I used a grub screw turned down on the lathe at the end to give a suitable locating 'register' into the spindle groove (as as previously suggested by Ken to someone else). Anyway, could it be that, is the spindle dowl missing?
Title: Re: Anyone recognise this bit?
Post by: Laverdaroo on May 09, 2024, 09:53:05 PM
Nope, all there, I simply don’t know where it’s from as I’ve only had these on the bench and it was a clear, clean towel down to do them on. I’m 99.9% positive that it’s not off these but just wanted a sense check, you know how it is!

It’s deffo carb parts as it’s so clean and that Black/dark grey colour, exactly the same colour as those two T pieces that sit in the lifters.

You know when you’re working on something, undo stuff and then turn it over to access other screws and something falls out onto the table. Eeeerrrr, bugger, where’s that from then, not seen one of them there before,not on a 400.

Well this is one of those occasions!

. I did the 400 carbs on ‘Chewy’ 2 years ago so being old and farty, my memory’s not what it was but I’m sure I’m right and it’s a foreign body. Happy to be corrected though before I give em back


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Anyone recognise this bit?
Post by: Laverdaroo on May 09, 2024, 09:57:19 PM
Ps, no thread(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240509/cf90d023fc8388ce6a07094b9c121268.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Anyone recognise this bit?
Post by: Laverdaroo on May 09, 2024, 09:57:36 PM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240509/109014de01c4a5914cf8f629d0449995.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Anyone recognise this bit?
Post by: Laverda Dave on May 09, 2024, 09:58:22 PM
I've had a good few 400/4 carbs apart and I've never seen anything like that before! Maybe the PO had the tank off at some time to do something else and dropped that part down there and you know the agro of dropping something down there and a) seeing where it actually went and b) trying to fish it out! BUT....the shape of the indent at one end does look like the lifter but if it is someone has cut the end off and why?
Title: Re: Anyone recognise this bit?
Post by: Johnny4428 on May 09, 2024, 09:58:28 PM
Any snipers around there Roo? 😂😂
Title: Re: Anyone recognise this bit?
Post by: Laverdaroo on May 09, 2024, 10:00:20 PM
I’m not sure but that’s not even a 22’

Got me flummoxed that, no bloody idea and gonna drive me nuts now! Grrrrr!

Cheers chaps,


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Anyone recognise this bit?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on May 09, 2024, 10:52:01 PM
Might not be a 0.22 how about a 0.177.🤔🤔🤔
Title: Re: Anyone recognise this bit?
Post by: Laverdaroo on May 09, 2024, 11:03:01 PM
Well if it is, it left no mark Ted


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Anyone recognise this bit?
Post by: ozzybud on May 09, 2024, 11:52:41 PM
i just had my carbs apart to adjust the needle height it is a part of the internal linkage in the diagram under #9. on the left side of the 9 box area it is the third bit down from the top. it slides up into the screw.. without it i would think getting the carbs in sync would be very difficult... I was very amazed how many pieces there were inside the carbs just for the linkage. Honda had some amazing engineering going on but this assembly is complex to say the least.
Title: Re: Anyone recognise this bit?
Post by: davidcumbria on May 09, 2024, 11:56:42 PM
You can see it 3 min and 13 sec in this video
https://youtu.be/wFaFIsYXiPc?si=R4AT1defc8MSov1N
Title: Re: Anyone recognise this bit?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on May 10, 2024, 12:33:03 AM
Well spotted Ozzybud  I did not realise they come out!

Knowing your luck Roo it will be the last one you check that's missing!
Title: Re: Anyone recognise this bit?
Post by: Laverdaroo on May 10, 2024, 01:10:24 AM
You legend, cheers for that. I actually thought they were fixed in the cap or part of it. Never knew they came out at all. Brill, that’s a great result


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk